Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

CSV Import in Interfaces

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcrossley
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It would be great if there was an option to allow for CSV imports within interfaces. 2 potential use cases are:

• The ability to upload CSV's in a list view that adds new records to the list
  • The ability to upload CSV's in a Record Detail View that would automatically add child records to a list/linked record field

I'm sure there are plenty more scenarios but these are the 2 I'm currently facing.

6 Comments
Jason_Knighten1
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

In this use case, does the user that needs to import, not have base access?

auekk2787
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would like to second this request. We have many non-technical users working in a huge database. We've created interfaces to specifically limit their access to the base. 

As a workaround, we've created a 'blank' interface page and put a large Grid element on it. This way they can bulk copy+paste data into the grid, which sort of acts like a CSV import. 

However, would love the full CSV Import functionality to map fields. 

bcrossley
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Jason_Knighten1 It's more of a workflow issue. Jumping back into the data and opening the csv import extension is a bit of a disruption since everything else I'm doing is in interfaces. Also, I have a client where we're building a base that doesn't want to allow full access to the data to others on the team, so it seems like a useful feature.

auekk2787
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@bcrossley I've added a button in my interface that opens the CSV Import tool in a new tab in full page view. This reduces a few clicks to at least get to the tool. But yes, security is a problem.

virtualsdk
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 to this use case.

In my case, I've got a backlog that is managed by program managers and a bunch of design managers who need to upload a csv of Aha features to their quarterly planning interfaces. Our backlog is unified across our design team of nearly 200 people so the interfaces limit access and visibility of information to only what folks need to see. I'd love for them to be able to export that Aha feature list and upload it to their interface so they don't have to manually copy/paste everything.

khoot
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@auekk2787  Can you share how this is set up? Does it use the Airtable CSV import extension, or another interface for CSV uploads in the new tab?