Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Dynamic form dropdown

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cynthia_Sanchez
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Although it can be created with a lot of formulas and columns, it would be great if there was a filter to conditionally select the view of a linked record, based on a previous selection on the form. E.g: I have a list of countries and they have all been assigned to a Region. In that table I can create the views for each of the regions tho have the subset of countries, then, in the form I can have a dropdown for region, and, depending on the region selected, I would be able to map the views that should be used for the Countries dropdown. This would be a very easy and scalable way to create dynamic dropdowns in forms.

Who is the target audience?

Enterprise and everyone else

2 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, Airtable has confirmed that they are bringing this feature to us soon.

In the meantime, there are 3 apps that offer this feature right now:

1. Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable. Fillout is an advanced form replacement for Airtable that offers dozens of features that Airtable’s native forms don’t offer, including dynamic linked record filters (i.e. dynamic form dropdowns), the ability to update Airtable records from a form, the ability to accept payments on forms, the ability to have multi-page forms with conditional paths, the ability to create new linked records on a form, the ability to display Airtable lookup fields & Airtable rollup fields & formulas & attachments on forms, visually displaying as many fields as you want to see in a linked record selection list (including attachment fields), limiting the number of linked records that can be chosen, and much more.

I give a brief demonstration of Fillout on this episode of the BuiltOnAir Podcast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrqXdRNmQIY&list=PLqssva4liHRwHhQIpTXekG8WObEoyC2F1

2. JotForm is another great option for dynamic form dropdowns. They even offer their own built-in widgets for commonly-used dropdowns, like countries/states/cities. JotForm is possibly the world’s most advanced form software, because it has more features & options than any other form software on the Internet. However, it doesn’t communicate in real-time with Airtable like Fillout does. It offers some basic Airtable integrations, but to unleash the full power of JotForm communicating with Airtable, you would typically want to turn to Make’s JotForm integrations to get your form submissions from JotForm into Airtable.

3. Noloco’s advanced interfaces for Airtable. Noloco is a full-blown front-end replacement for Airtable that can act as both a customer portal and an advanced interface for Airtable.

The CEO of Noloco gave a demonstration of his product on this Airtable podcast episode: https://youtu.be/yyJSHijFD7g?si=7CJzR935EJps9Vl6

I also give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this Airtable podcast episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jwb0CFJ2qY&list=PLqssva4liHRwHhQIpTXekG8WObEoyC2F1

And I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld

Cynthia_Sanchez
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks @ScottWorld . Using external forms (apps) is not an option for us, so we resolved it with a bit of a messy number of columns and formulas. That's not the problem, it is doable if someone puts their heads to it, but what I'm asking for is the easy, given that Airtable already has all the tools in place to provide this feature with ease.

Looking forward to the official release from Airtable.