Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Error Handling for Automations

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rupert_Hoffsch1
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

It would be great to make automation error messages more sophisticated. For instance it would be very helpful to build an error log in a table in order to assign errors to certain users or mark them as resolved etc. (at the moment the person who triggered the automation receives the error notification / email).

Especially when dealing with more complex bases and / or using scripts in automations, errors are pretty common and a useful part of the development process. At the moment unfortunately not useful enough 🙂

5 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Totally agree!

Actually, as it stands now, it’s even worse than you described above.

The person who triggered the automation is NOT the person who receives the error message email. It’s the very last person who turned off & on the automation! :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

It’s a terrible error system that allows for a lot of errors to fall through the cracks.

Be sure to email support@airtable.com about improving this. I’ve been meaning to email them about this, but I don’t think I have yet.

Rupert_Hoffsch1
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

You’re completely right and that’s what I meant, just didn’t express it clearly. Given that someone had to implement it that way and doing that also took time, they could’ve at least added a field where you can specify which collaborator should receive the error… :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: I’ll send an email to support as well!

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Totally agree! Thanks for sending them an email… I’ll send one as well later this afternoon.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

I'd love to see the ability to have Automation errors push to my browser notification too, and also have them feed through to Interfaces upon a Button Automation returning output. When a user clicks a button on an Interface, they have no idea if it did the thing it's supposed to do - as there's not output for them to digest, regardless of error.

Webs
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

What we really need is for actions to have an iferror attribute that tells the system what to do if an error occurs during a step.  Such as iferror, skip to next action.  Or iferror, notify [email address] etc.