Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Form to edit data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Harkn
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

At the moment the form only allows input of new data. Can we have a form for editing existing records? At the moment we can only edit in the table meaning I can’t present the records the way I want. Can’t even hide columns on mobile, meaning the users are free to wreak havoc on the existing data :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

163 Comments
Dan_Weaver
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

There’s a long running discussion about this already, here: Form to edit data

In your example case, why not have a table just for ‘incoming documents’ with fields for docs and who uploaded them, then relate that to your other tables?

Eduardo_Navarro
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I hope this feature will become a reality soon Heart

Benjamin_Ho
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Roger, we should move over to the other thread.

That’s a good workaround, but I’ll prefer not to create more tables than I have to.

Benjamin_Ho

Right now, forms allow you to add a new record. However, I wish for the possibility of editing a record via a form as well. It would probably require the first question to select the record in question using the primary field, then filling or editing the fields that are available as questions.

I think this would be useful for many situations where you need users to interact with your base but you don’t want to provide actual base access. For example, if a table on your base consists of staff members and you need them to upload a relevant document. However, the base contains sensitive information about other staff and you don’t want it to be seen by everyone.

Shannon_Tefft-1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hate to say “me too,” but “Me too!”

Have membership information/updates and a library. Would be great to be able to use forms to update data.

Thom_Hounsell
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Bump for this feature request. It’s table stakes for many projects. Icing on the cake would be a field that lets you auto-generate a link to the pre-filled form. That way, I could direct each member of my club to edit their own record as needed.

Shannon_Tefft-1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’m trying a work-around on that, creating a prefilled url, but I still have not figured out how to do it when I have spaces in my table names. It might be a cool feature to have a “table name” that is restricted to no spaces or special characters and an “display name” that is otherwise shown.

Joshua_Modglin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I will add another request for this feature. It is taking the means to share a read-only view to the next level of allowing users who have the view to edit the data within that view only.
A use case is for team collaboration. A project manager can setup a calendar with tasks assigned to each member. The members can see their tasks, comment, and edit the duration/completion of task. However, each user does not need to see all the tables and data for the project as a whole.

Pete
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi all, Peter from Airtable here. I just want to point you to a new support article of ours that outlines how to configure forms to edit data through Zapier. The integration works quite well, but does require a paid Zapier account (at $20/month), because it is a multi-step Zap.

We realize this is quite a steep price tag for those who aren’t already paying for Zapier. Likewise, we hear loud and clear how important more granular permissions are for all of you. Thank you so much for sharing the details of your use cases, and I promise that we’ll continue to explore further improvements here.

Dan_Weaver
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Disappointing that we should have to step outside Airtable and use a (paid or not) third-party app to achieve this.