Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Form to edit data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Harkn
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

At the moment the form only allows input of new data. Can we have a form for editing existing records? At the moment we can only edit in the table meaning I can’t present the records the way I want. Can’t even hide columns on mobile, meaning the users are free to wreak havoc on the existing data :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

163 Comments
Scott_Sapire
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

No, that’s not a solution to my use case:

We invest in start ups. When we first discover a company we input roughly 30 fields of data. If we there is an opportunity to invest we will input another 100 fields. If we decide to invest there are another 50 fields.

I need to be able to send out 3 forms for different life stages of the record.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

LOL. I just read my post from six months ago and realized Airportal has been renamed to a two-syllable word. Called it!

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We made a tool that allows you to edit records using Airtable Forms. We solved most pain points in some existing solutions:

1. Form fields are pre-populated with the existing data.
  2. Records are updated instantly after form submission.
  3. Form requires minimal setup (no need to match multiple tables/fields/select options)
  4. Supports limiting linked record selection to a view.
    ^This last one can only be made possible by using Airtable’s native form.

Here’s a video for more details:
Edit Existing Records with Airtable Forms

Zollie
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

I’ve been helping a user that would benefit from a multi-row editable form as well. The user would like to share a selection of his data for review from judges, but those judges shouldn’t see each others’ responses. In other words, a judge would be editing multiple rows of data, but shouldn’t see all available data.

Steve_Cooke
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Many thanks for sharing my requirement Zollie - yes, there are significant overlaps. As a comment, I’d add that there’s a significant difference between using a form process (where you need to identify the record to be updated) and a view process (where you browse records and update one or more fields). The advantage of views IMO is that (a) Airtable already supports them, including the ability to hide certain fields and (in beta) lock the edit permission for others (so you can display them in an expanded record but not update them) and (b) they permit browsing and very rapid data updating. For example, if I could edit records from a Kanban view, a judge (to use my use case) could scroll through records, rapidly assigning a data value from a selection by dragging each record to the appropriate column.

[obvious edit] - to do this, you’d need to (a) be able edit from a view and [b] be able to share that view without granting access to any other views or tables.

M_Bagriacik
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey guys, check up my page www.update-airtable.io
or Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffT_xcfnxxI

On this page I have described how you can easily overcome the missing feature with Update Forms.
Second I have also described how to create a Custom Portal for Airtable so that even non Airtable users are able to see a Base, View and even Update, Delete and Create records.

Worked on this solution for at least couple of weeks. Really curious about your feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

Connor_Harrison
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m trying to help setting up an animal rescue database. Where we keep track of vet records, dates, health, foster, etc. We want our foster’s to be able to easily go to a form, select their animal, and make edits to the data presented. Dates, health status, etc. without having to look at a complex spreadsheet with all the other records for other fosters. Sure, we could create views - but that also then gets messy.

Having a form where you can select an active record, then edit that record in a form view would be LIFE changing for the rescue.

Curtis_Fonger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

For anyone still looking for a solution to this problem, I would love to learn more about what you need. I’m a software developer and am planning on building a solution for this. Please feel free to reply here or DM me on Twitter at @CurtisFonger.

Michael_Layani
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Would appreciate to hear more about your solution. Its crazy Airtable does not feature this

Curtis_Fonger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I recently discovered https://stacker.app/. I would love to learn if that solves your use case.