Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Form to edit existing record

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
BCCreative
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Really. We need a form or an addition to the current form that allows for editing a current record as opposed to only being able to add a new record. I should be able to send a client a form that they can find their record in and update their data and not have it create a completely new record. 

Please. I hate that I've had to resort to paying another company in order to do this. 

3 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yeah, it doesn't seem like Airtable will be adding this anytime soon, but who knows. Maybe they'll surprise us!

But unfortunately, as you mentioned above, we typically need to turn to external apps like Fillout for this. Luckily, Fillout has a generous free plan, so you might not need to pay for this.  

In the meantime, back in Airtable, you could potentially hack it together with some very tedious & highly fragile workarounds like sending each client a prefilled form link with their data already filled into the form, and then you would have to use automations to copy & paste all of their information from the newly-submitted record into their old record. But your prefilled link will get quickly outdated as soon as they update their information, so you would need to send them a new prefill link.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

If you are willing to make your client sign up for an Airtable account and log into that account, you can use an interface and send a link to that interface. If you don't want to pay for the client to have edit access, give read-only access and use a button in the interface that launches a prefilled form. Then have an automation that copies the info from the form to the original record, as Scott mentioned. That way you don't have to worry about the prefill link getting stale.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@kuovonne That's a great trick!

Also, regarding 3rd-party options: Fillout is almost like a portal, but if you want to get super-deep into portals, you can use an advanced portal like Noloco.

I just gave a webinar this morning on Building a Client Portal on Noloco Powered by Airtable -- the recorded video will be available at that link very soon.

In the meantime, I give a brief step-by-step tutorial of Noloco on this episode of the BuiltOnAir Podcast.