Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Gantt view for a Day full of tasks

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Ray_Perez
5 - Automation Enthusiast

We have a monthly weekend project that includes many tasks within a 24 hour window, starting at a large variety of times. While a Gantt is more geared towards longer term projects, it would still be nice to be able to see the Gantt offer the ability to drill down to a day view, and then display based off of all the start/end times.

4 Comments
Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hi @Ray_Perez, and welcome to the community!

I donโ€™t believe the new Gantt view feature supports this level of data granularity but totally possible if you can craft it in Vega-Lite. In the Airtable version, one day is the smallest possible task range, whereas, in Vega itโ€™s millisecond-level precision.

{
  "$schema": "https://vega.github.io/schema/vega-lite/v4.json",
  "title": "Class Schedule",
  "width": "container",
  "height": "container",
  "mark": "bar",
  "encoding": {
    "y": {
      "field": "Class Name",
      "type" : "nominal"
    },
    "x": {
        "timeUnit": "yearmonthdatehours",
        "field": "Start Date",
        "type": "ordinal"
    },
    "x2": {
      "timeUnit": "yearmonthdatehours",
      "field": "End Date"
    }
  }
}
Ray_Perez

Very nice workaround! With the current Gantt view limitations, this option should work. I just installed the app and set the necessary field for my base, and it worked like a charm. Never previously worked with Vega-Lite. Is it possible to force it to use a 12-hour format, instead of a 24-hour format? I was searching around the Vega-lite documentation, but wasnโ€™t yet able to locate how to force the format.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Yes - thereโ€™s a way. Itโ€™s probably going to require a transformation, so read up on that feature as it really sits at the core of all data handling.

Ray_Perez

Thanks for the assist, Bill. Most appreciated!