Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Getting the row number

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Norris
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

In Excel, you can use the ROW() function to return the row number of the current cell. A feature like this in Airtable would be useful, as I have a list of events that I want to recalculate their date depending on the order that the user has the rows in. I can’t use the autonumber feature, because that doesn’t renumber when the user reorders the rows. There doesn’t appear to be any way to get Airtable to work out what the order of records is, and calculate a formula based on that.

18 Comments
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Seeing that later replies in this thread have shifted the discussion toward a product-suggestions angle, I’m moving this to the appropriate category.

Julien_Reszka
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Any news regarding this functionality?

mayorcesar

I am also looking for something like this

EuGin_Song
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes Row Number is definitely a missing function!

Facundo_Sanchez

This functionality would be more than a ‘nice to have’. If Airtable proposition is to be ‘the best of both worlds’ (spreadsheets and databases), shouldn’t this feature be at least in their Roadmap?

Andrea

still waiting for Row number, will be useful to sync airtable sort with external softwares

Toby_AM
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I signed up for Airtable today, almost finished creating my Base, and now that I find that a simple row number is not accessible to the formula I’m afraid this entire incredible suite of software is not useful for my use case.

Robert_Sheldon

bUMP. mE TOO cpretty basic functionality