Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Group Fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
estevamfurtado
5 - Automation Enthusiast
What is the proposed idea/solution?

estevamfurtado_0-1678202287409.png

• A feature that lets you group fields by context. As simple as that.
  • Above is an extreme mvp, but i guess it should be something in that path.
How does is solve the user problems?
  • It would help creators manage fields when a table gets huge (in columns).
  • It would be easier for anyone to better understand the table schema.
How was this validated?
  • I am using Airtable in my team with a lot of people getting to know the base and sometimes it is overwhelming for them to process every column in their minds. It is not visual and I had to do it outside to show them.
  • I know it could be viewed as many 1:1 relations, so one could say "the user should create new tables". OK, but then there are some problems
    • If the user needs to access those info in the table (for filters, calculations or interface designing, lets say) it would have to lookup these fields - the problem would still exist.
Who is the target audience?

I think every member on a team with creators that are heavy users.

6 Comments
anniethiessen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, this. We need this

vierless_julian

This would make life so much easier

Mouser-IB-Admin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I'm shocked this isn't getting more attention but it's definitely one of the things I've wanted the most for quite a while. The ability to define groups of related fields, and then easily move them around in bulk would be amazing. It'd also be great when creating views and being able to just hide/unhide a whole group of fields at once, or add them all to a detailed view of records on an interface. Imagine being able to use the "add group" function on a dashboard interface, and having it prompt you to add a defined group of fields all at once.

What a dream.

Brett_D
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

For mine, it's simply because we end up creating fields that are used solely for automations or to help in formulas etc. Yes I can hide these and use naming conventions to help group them, but it's a mucky workaround. 

I would like the ability to group fields and lock them as a group, add a description to the group, show/hide as a group and title the group.  

Gedalia
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, please!

Sal_Suissa
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

that would be game changer