Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Have outbound document links to Google Drive

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Larry_Contratti
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I uploaded a link to a Google Drive document to my Base. Now Iโ€™d like to get back to it from my base.

But when I click on the document link that Airtable creates in the Base, it downloads as an MS Word file.

Iโ€™d like to click on that link and go to Google Docs. Since Iโ€™m already logged into Airtable with Google, this would be a convenient round trip.

5 Comments
Mike_Redmer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree. This would be better. Similar to how Trello brings in the preview of GDrive documents but ultimately links to those directly.

Iโ€™ve been using the URL column to link to the shared document or folder in Drive for the time being. Less elegant and slightly more time consuming, but achieves the purpose for now.

Chrystel_Olouko

Yes that would be a very useful feature. It would be great if โ€œattachmentsโ€ would not download files but just show a preview of files stocked externally (i. e. google docs) so that if I make a modification of a file in google docs it is actualized in airtable as well rather than having to download the file again.

Andron_Ocean

+1. It would be so much more useful if Google Doc attachments linked directly to the original doc/spreadsheet/etc in question, instead of creating a one-time snapshot โ€” which has never been what I want! The URL field is a poor substitute, but at least lets me get to the current version of whatever asset Iโ€™m attaching.

Treffsikker_Kje

+1 Way better to get the live link instead of making a copy. More userfriendly in regards of versioning, and also save lots of storage space as Airtable donโ€™t need to hold a copy.

Hannah_Wiginton
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

You can use the On2Air Amplify app to EDIT and VIEW your Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides files INSIDE of Airtable

EditGoogleDoc_InlineAirtable_On2AirAmplify_animate