Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

If this then that like rules in a base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathias_Elmose
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would like to request the ability to create if this then that like rules in a base. I like formulas but they can be hard to work with if your not a formula person and I would like to be able to change the state of one field based on the change of another.

So I would like to change a records fields based on other fields in the same record, but also be able to change a record in a table based on the change of different record(s) in another table.

Examples:

1. When a task changes to “Need Reviews” THEN change the collaborator field to “John”
  2. When a new record is added to the view “For evaluation” THEN remove the linked record “Implementation” AND add the linked record “For Evaluation”.
  3. When a record is marked with “problematic” THEN notify Hannah
  4. When a deadline is within 7 days AND the record hasn’t been updated for that last 7 days THEN change the field “Needs your attention” to checked AND notify me.
  5. When the field A, B, and C is empty THEN change the status to “Incomplete”

This would make sense for Airtable with their “build your own application” approach and mean that you could build great workflows.

19 Comments
Colleen_Hoy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Has there been any update to this? I am particularly in the use case above of simple auto-population of fields between tables. I.e. If Field X in Table 1 is [F], then Field Y in Table 2 should be [G]. or the like. This would really be an exceptional add that should be relatively achievable. Thanks.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@Colleen_Hoy Check out Airtable’s Automations, especially the “when a record matches a condition” trigger and the “update record” action.

Sanat_Mohanty
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@kuovonne Thanks for sharing tip on automation.

I tried doing it.
My use case: I am building a sales funnel tracker. I have two columns (Status & Progress Stage) ‘single select’ field type. I want to use the record entries in ‘Progress Stage’ to update ‘Status’.

How should it look like ?
Under ‘Status’ - I have three options - cold lead, warm lead, hot lead.
Under ‘Progress Stage’ - I have three options - RFP released, Bid Submitted, Bid under evaluation.

What is my end goal ?
If I select ‘Progress Stage’ to be ‘RFP Released’, then ‘Status’ should automatically update to ‘cold lead’

My experience with trigger & action -
I am able to set the trigger but unable to get the desired action (the three options under status does not auto populate)

@Cameron_Deleone - am I doing something wrong here :neutral_face:

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@Sanat_Mohanty Welcome to the Airtable community!

This sounds like a straight forward automation:

• trigger: when the record meets the condition of ‘Progress Stage’ being ‘RFP Released’
  • action update the record to set the ‘Status’ field to ‘cold lead’ (simply type the desired single-select choice)

Can you share screen shots of your automation and of the fields?

Sanat_Mohanty
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@kuovonne Thanks for being so responsive.
Below is the screenshot - I guess I have enter the record ID under ‘action’
Airtable screenshot_2

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes. Click the plus in the blue box to insert the record ID of the triggering record. Otherwise the Automation doesn’t know which record to update.

Sanat_Mohanty
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@kuovonne thanks for responding. It worked.
Just a quick follow up question - incase we want to create similar automation for, lets say, all 6 records, then do we need to set up individual automation for each record OR can we set up a bulk automation rule for all records in one shot ?

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

If all six records in the table meet the triggering condition, then the automation will run six times—once for each triggering record. Note that you did not hard-code the record ID. You told the automation to use the record ID of the triggering record, so in other runs it will use the record ID of whatever record triggered the automation.

Note that you must turn on the automation before the records meet the condition. Then the change that makes the record meet the conditions of the trigger must occur. If the record meets the conditions of the trigger before the automation is turned on, the automation will not run for that record.

If you want an automation to be triggered by only one record and run only once, but affect six records, you will need a Scripting action. (But it doesn’t sound like this is what you want.)

Lauren_Rosen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

are these if then rules working yet? I would love to use them!