Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Interface Forms - Ability to Choose Displayed Fields in Linked Record dropdown

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
bcrossley
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator
What is the proposed idea/solution?

Similar to Record Details pages, I would like the ability to include additional fields in the dropdown when selecting linked records in interface forms.

How does it solve the user problems?

I use unique ID's in the primary field, which makes it difficult to identify the appropriate record when selecting from the dropdown in interface forms. The ability to include other fields in the dropdown would allow me to select appropriate records without having another window open to map the ID's to my selection. This has already been implemented in Record Details pages, so I'm hoping it can be added without much issue (pictures attached). It would also save me from having to restructure my database.

How was this validated?

Everyday use

Who is the target audience?

Anyone using interface forms

1 Comment
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, that would be extremely welcome! That has been a long-requested feature for Airtable since Airtable was originally released.

In the meantime, there are only 2 workarounds to this issue.

Neither one of these workarounds are ideal, but theyโ€™re the only 2 options that we have at this point:

1. In your linked table, change the primary field to a formula field that combines together all the values that you want to see. The problem with this method is that it changes the structure of your base, and it canโ€™t be used to show attachment fields.

2. Use Filloutโ€™s advanced forms for Airtable. Fillout is 100% free and it offers hundreds of features that Airtableโ€™s native forms donโ€™t offer, including the ability to display as many fields as you want to see in a linked record selection list (including attachments), the ability to update Airtable records from a form, display Airtable lookup fields & Airtable rollup fields & Airtable attachments & formulas on forms, dynamically & conditionally filter linked record fields by any values that you would like, perform math or other live calculations on your forms, accept payments on forms, create multi-page forms with conditional paths, create new linked records on a form, connect a single form to dozens of external apps simultaneously, limit the number of linked records that can be chosen, upload an unlimited amount of attachments simultaneously, add CAPTCHAs to your form, add choice matrixes to your forms, direct integration with hundreds of apps like Calendly & Google Maps on your forms, and so much more.

The downside to this method is that youโ€™ll need to add a link on your interface to take users to the form.

Hope this helps! If youโ€™d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant โ€” ScottWorld