Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Keep formatting when copying a Richt Text Field

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Oliver_Holtz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a Rich Text Field with a hyperlink in it. When I select the entire field and copy -paste it into a a text editor or other software, the hyperlink gets lost. The same is true for other kinds of formatting, like bold, italic, etc.

The formatting only gets copied correctly if I go in to edit the field, and then select and copy the text.

I use Rich Text Fields and Scripts in order to generate hyperlinks in a field, but without being able to copy them, this is not so much use for me.

4 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I stumbled into this exact same problem yesterday with a client of mine, and it was very frustrating.

I would recommend emailing support@airtable.com to request this, because sadly they donโ€™t pay attention to the majority of posts here.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

This is expected behavior and easily explained.

• Airtable uses a variant of Markdown to style rich content.
  • Most tools donโ€™t support Markdown and surely not Airtableโ€™s variant.
  • Copying the content from the edit window means you are capturing a rendered instance of the Markdown variant - e.g., itโ€™s HTML when you snap such a copy, therefore, it can be pasted in most cases.
Oliver_Holtz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for the explanation. I can see why it would happen. Does this mean, though, that itโ€™s technically impossible to copy the HTML of the field I selected by default, rather than the markdown?

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

No, not if you use automated scripting to do so.