Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Linked field color

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi,

• I have 3 table: COMPANY, CONTACT, PLACES
  • The COMPANY has a field COLOR
  • CONTACT and PLACES link a COMPANY

How can I use the COMPANY COLOR (a single label field) in PLACES and CONTACT ? The lookup fields only get the value.

In fact a link field is like a “powerfull” select it would be great to handle color feature every where

5 Comments
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

As you’ve seen, you can’t directly edit a field via lookup. However, if you add a link to a company in either [Places] or [Contact], you can click on the link to open that company record and edit all fields.

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Thanks, I already understand the Graph Database beahvior.

I’d like to use the color field of COMPANY in my PLACES because it helps to see rows or event in a calendar view.

• I don’t want to duplicate and maintain a select field
  • I don’t want to use a rule based color view (because I have to duplicate the logic too)
Mark_Dixon
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

What do you mean by “a single label field”?

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Sorry mispelled,
Table 1: Field > Single Select > Colored Option
Table 2: Link to Table 1

Table 2 can’t use the color defined in the field of the linked object of Table 1

Exemple:

• Table 1 : Apple | Color Red
  • Table 2 : John Doe | work for Apple => can’t color it in red
  • Table 3: Meeting with JohnDow | at Apple => can’t get color from John Doe or Apple (can’t use them in Calendar view)

=> I think my question is more a feature request to retrieve the select fields with a rollup

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yeah, that makes more sense, and now that I understand what you’re talking about, I agree that it would be nice to assign colors to linked record items, and/or have colors from single/multiple select fields carry through when used in rollup/lookup fields. Maybe not all the time, though, but perhaps as an option.

Anyway, I’ll move this thread to the Product Suggestions category for further discussion if anyone else wants to chime in.