Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Linked field color

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi,

• I have 3 table: COMPANY, CONTACT, PLACES
  • The COMPANY has a field COLOR
  • CONTACT and PLACES link a COMPANY

How can I use the COMPANY COLOR (a single label field) in PLACES and CONTACT ? The lookup fields only get the value.

In fact a link field is like a โ€œpowerfullโ€ select it would be great to handle color feature every where

5 Comments
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

As youโ€™ve seen, you canโ€™t directly edit a field via lookup. However, if you add a link to a company in either [Places] or [Contact], you can click on the link to open that company record and edit all fields.

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Thanks, I already understand the Graph Database beahvior.

Iโ€™d like to use the color field of COMPANY in my PLACES because it helps to see rows or event in a calendar view.

• I donโ€™t want to duplicate and maintain a select field
  • I donโ€™t want to use a rule based color view (because I have to duplicate the logic too)
Mark_Dixon
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

What do you mean by โ€œa single label fieldโ€?

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Sorry mispelled,
Table 1: Field > Single Select > Colored Option
Table 2: Link to Table 1

Table 2 canโ€™t use the color defined in the field of the linked object of Table 1

Exemple:

• Table 1 : Apple | Color Red
  • Table 2 : John Doe | work for Apple => canโ€™t color it in red
  • Table 3: Meeting with JohnDow | at Apple => canโ€™t get color from John Doe or Apple (canโ€™t use them in Calendar view)

=> I think my question is more a feature request to retrieve the select fields with a rollup

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yeah, that makes more sense, and now that I understand what youโ€™re talking about, I agree that it would be nice to assign colors to linked record items, and/or have colors from single/multiple select fields carry through when used in rollup/lookup fields. Maybe not all the time, though, but perhaps as an option.

Anyway, Iโ€™ll move this thread to the Product Suggestions category for further discussion if anyone else wants to chime in.