Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Multi-select field - group by individual values

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_Thompson-
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I know this has been posted many times before, but we need a real solution to allow for grouping by multi-select fields in a way that makes all records associated with at least that value shown in the value grouping. 

Yes, this might result in one record appearing multiple times in a grid view. Yes, that is desirable

Notion users know that this is much more intuitive and user-friendly than the way Airtable handles this behavior. 

---

Here's a real example for us:

We do project planning in Airtable across quarters. Projects may span multiple quarters (multi-select field). There is no way to view all projects grouped by quarter where all Q1 projects are collected in a single group! 

As a designer, it boggles my mind that it behaves this way...

1 Comment
mrvc

This would be so simple with a checkbox to 'split multiple values'. Official response from airtable and the suggested workaround is poor — create views for every multiselect item which would be super tedious!
https://support.airtable.com/docs/multiple-select-field

I suggest visiting that support article and responding to the page with feedback about how poor this suggested workaround is and proposing to add a checkbox that splits multiple values into individual groups

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 03.45.04.jpg