Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Need 'record deleted' event

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Augustin_Clouti
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We need a new event type in airtable for deleted records, so that we can trigger actions either in automations or in Zapier / MAKE based on that event.

Example: When a record is deleted in airtable, I need to delete corresponding data in another database (external tool)

12 Comments
Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune
Michael_Kruger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Airtable doesnโ€™t have an event for deletion - itโ€™s been an open request for at least 3 years now and thereโ€™s been no response to suggest it will ever be implemented.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I believe this is untrue. A few months ago they made the events API accessible by (I think) all users and it is capable of firing events when fields and records are removed from any view.

Michael_Kruger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

The link you provided to webhooks API documentation has been removed. Do you know if itโ€™s available somewhere else?

A brief search through the support forums shows multiple open requests for airtable to add a Deleted event for triggers - some dating back to 2016! None of them seem to have replies from the airtable team.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I think this is just for enterprise accounts.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Initially, I thought the same until I used it with my Pro account. I believe @openside also verified this was available for all who dare use it.

openside
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Its enterprise only.

openside
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

If you use our On2Air: Actions with its Zapier connector, you can โ€œfakeโ€ a deleted records trigger by using a Checkbox field and label it something like โ€˜DELETE MEโ€™ (or anything else), then once configured if you check one of those boxes it will pull in that record so it can be used in Zapier, and then instantly delete the record. Not ideal, but a workaround.

Documentation

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I actually recall testing this and had a test harness with results from the API using my Pro API key. I tried it again - failed. Thatโ€™s too bad. How many non-enterprise accounts would actually go to the trouble of using this API? Near zero I suspect, so why limit it?

In any case, another trick - maintain a hash index of record IDs and test (every 15 minutes) for any IDs that are missing. Thatโ€™s about the best you could do.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Zapier doesnโ€™t have a โ€œdelete recordโ€ action. Does On2Air Actions have a โ€œdelete recordโ€ action that is run through the REST API (versus scripting)?

One of the issues with โ€œfakingโ€ a deleted record is that people can still delete records the normal way. A workaround for that is to set the table permissions so that only one user can delete records. Then, use that personโ€™s API key when actually deleting the record through the REST API.

But a native automation with a โ€œdeleted recordโ€ trigger that provides the values of the record just before deletion would be ideal.