Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Open link in desktop app

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Adam_Thompson1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

It would be great if I could open an Airtable link in the Mac app instead of the web app. (I sometimes have different accounts logged in)

If a redirect (open in Airtable) isnโ€™t possible, I think a url bar, or some way to go directly to a base given its url/id would be great

4 Comments
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I agree that this would be a useful feature. In the meantime, I suggest getting to know the base-switcher hotkey: Command-K. That opens a popup in the middle of the window where you can type the name (or partial name) of any base, use the cursor keys to navigate the filtered list, and hit Enter to open that new base. While I use the Mac desktop app myself and often have multiple bases open in different windows for quick switching, this is still a very frequently-used hotkey when I want to keep the number of open bases to a minimum and just switch one window to a different base.

DyslexicLabrado
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Seconded. Another use case for this feature: I integrated a base with my calendar app so that the events in my Calendar View show up in the local calendar. It would be nice if I could open the calendar events in the desktop app instead of the browser:

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@DyslexicLabrador While I originally agreed about the usefulness of this feature, Iโ€™ve learned more about the desktop app since then. Based on that, I donโ€™t believe that this is even possibleโ€”at least not without completely redesigning the desktop app (and even then I have my doubts).

Long story short, the current desktop app is just a shell around the existing Airtable web application. In other words, youโ€™re still running Airtable in a browser, but itโ€™s a very restricted browser that only opens a single, pre-programmed URL and nothing else. Itโ€™s also a browser that the OS doesnโ€™t recognize as a browser, so you canโ€™t send any URL to it using the typical โ€œalways open URLs in my default browserโ€ type of way.

For URLs to open in an Airtable app, it would first have to be an app designed as an actual app. The URLs would also have to be designed in such a way that the OS could distinguish them from normal web-browser URLs. This is all totally doable (other apps do this), but it would require significant development resources to create and support platform-specific applications in addition to the existing web version of Airtable. While the Airtable team is doing amazing things, itโ€™s still a relatively small team (to my knowledge), and they donโ€™t currently have the resources to go in that direction. Itโ€™s on a completely different order of development magnitude compared to, say, adding a new view or creating a new formula function. Could it happen in the future? Maybe, but I donโ€™t see it happening any time soon.

MK_Chung
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It works if you have a Mac (not sure about Windows)

If you right click on a cell to get the record URL, you will have something looks like this:

โ€œhttps://airtable.com/appxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/tblxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/viw9xxxxxxxxxxxxxxโ€

Replace https with airtable:
airtable://airtable.com/appxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
airtable://airtable.com/appxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/tblxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
airtable://airtable.com/appxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/tblxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/viw9xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When Firefox tries to open these links, selected airtable app to open the link.

Screen Shot

References: