Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Prefill linked record in form by record ID

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martin_Kopischk
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I am very glad Airtable has added options to the possibilities for prefilling forms, especially the ability to prefill linked records. However, it seems this functionality expects the record index string as the prefill query parameter. I’m happy to have someone point me to the right way to do this if I am mistaken, but if I am not, I would find it very useful to link records by record ID. This would make scenarios like this possible:

1. enter the One part in a One to Many data relationship in a first form;
  2. redirect the first form to https://airtable.com/formForManyPart?prefil_link={record_id} on success;
  3. enter one Many part correctly linked to its One.

Our exact usage scenario is to allow students to request resources for a project, with the ability to add the project to our DB first if it does not exist yet. Having that newly created project linked straightaway to the requested resources in the form would take away a lot of friction.

24 Comments
Antony_Rappai
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello there @Martin_Kopischke, Nice work on the record ID URL prefill, however, i had a question, what if it was not the record_id and if it was another field from the table? Would you just put that field name ?

Thanks
Anto

Martin_Kopischk
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Anthony, as linked to in my original post, Airtable has a support page explaining form pre-filling. I think you will find the answer to your question there.

Jarvis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

This is very helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time to break it down with images so that the rest of us can recreate it easily :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We built an advanced form for Airtable. It allows you to redirect the users to a “field in Airtable”. Which could include any other value, not just the record ID.