Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Roll Ups for Fields Linked Within The Same Table

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constance_Brown
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a table where the linked fields are references to other rows in the same table. I want to create a roll up field, but this isn’t allowed because the links aren’t to another table. Would it be possible to remove this restriction?

16 Comments
Rickard_Uddenbe

I would like to see this feature too. Of course a lookup should be able to use a self-linking table to find data from an other row on the same table. Exemple; this row has been outdated (obsolet) by this row.

Avi_Doe
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi! You could do that with the formula feature. Just klick formula and then select the column you need. You can also combine that feature with several rows.

Rickard_Uddenbe

i dont get it to work with formula. Are we talking about the same thing? :slightly_smiling_face:

Avi_Doe
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

air

I use this formula for collecting several columns into one column in the same table.

For Rollup you might need the “if” funtion or “count” function in the formula field.

Alex_Gamburg
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Avi_Doe: Unfortunately I don’t believe this solves the issue. We don’t need data from the current row/cell. We need data from another item in the same table. For some reason AirTable restricts the ability to perform Rollups & Lookups on the same table.

My table requires referencing fields within another row on that same table. Surely this should be possible, but maybe there’s something I’m not getting.

Jordan_Hauer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is so necessary! Please add this Airtable!

Derek_Moeller
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a way to do dependencies without this feature? For example, in a job scheduler, Job2 starts after Job1 ends. I want to link Job2 to Job1 as the predecessor, so I can capture a calculated end date of Job1 to set the start date of Job2. But without lookups on self linking tables, I see no way to do this.

This would also seem to be an issue for most task dependency tracking, or for anything requiring predecessors/successors.

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

You’re in luck: The technique [barely] described in this post and the demonstration base it references accomplishes exactly what you wish to do.

Sean_O_Shea
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@W_Vann_Hall Thanks for your answers. Can you try to clean up those posts? You’re linking to posts of yours that link to posts of yours etc. Also none of the links you provide to example bases have enough permissions to be able to inspect the functions you’re using.

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

If you open the bases link and then use the button in the top right to copy the base, you can open up the copy and see all formulas.

Are you asking a forum user who has invested tons of hours helping people with problems for free to spend more time writing up a nice clean wiki for you???