Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Set defaults on fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Mike_Ball
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Simply the ability to set a default on fields other than numeric

On a date, the obvious is Today

On a string, just set a default value

138 Comments
Andy_Brice
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This seems like a glaring omission. At our charity we have volunteers entering dates into forms tablets. 99% of the time it is the current date. But 1% of the time it isnโ€™t so we canโ€™t automatically record todayโ€™s date. Shortcuts donโ€™t work on an Android tablet. Also the pop-up virtual keyboard gets in the way of the date picker. It is all very clunky. An option to make a date field default to todayโ€™s date would make life a lot easier.

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Maybe you could use a Formula like this: IF({Date Input}, {Date Input}, CREATED_TIME())

You use the Date field as the date. If you donโ€™t insert a date, it gets the Created Time.

Example: https://airtable.com/shrNsquv5MhD4MIYl

Mark_Avey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any idea when this is coming?

My use case: I record expenses, adding multiple records every work day, and they almost all need โ€œtodayโ€ as the date.

jeremy_heuerman

Need ability to set default value for single select fields. (Default status field to in process rather then it showing blank each time record is created)

Joshua_Soule
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It seems that date fields currently do not support default values. I frequently want a date field to default to the current date or current time or both. It would even be nice to be able to choose to default to a relative date or time (such as current time plus 2 hours, or current date plus 1 day). I think this would be a feature that a lot of people would useโ€ฆ who agrees?

Mark_Avey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How do I implement this with my existing date field? Or do I need to create a new field for it referencing the original? If the latter, that rather defeats the object. I just want the existing date field to default to today, not add another field.

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

What Iโ€™ve done in a couple of Bases (which isnโ€™t elegant) is to have a field to enter an override date and then have a formula provide the actual date for the record which uses the Created Date unless the Override Date is not entered:

IF({Invoice Date (if not now)} = BLANK(), CREATED_TIME(), {Invoice Date (if not now)})

In this case, field {Invoice Date (if not now)} is my override date and the result is an Invoice Date.

A_K
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any updates on setting Default values for text fields? Thanks!

Ken_A

+1 bump this up please

Ken_A

Thank you for idea Victoria but unfortunately there is no way to use this method for the current date, such as NOW() or TODAY(). I hope this feature will be added.