Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Set defaults on fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_Ball
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Simply the ability to set a default on fields other than numeric

On a date, the obvious is Today

On a string, just set a default value

138 Comments
Amanda_Shipka
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’d like defaults for long text - use case is a checklist of tasks. I know I could make each check a single field but they’re really not worth their own fields for my use case.

Tyler_Hartgrove

It would be great to have a default “Time” set when choosing the date field. We have a table dedicated to logging employee time off, and when they are filling the form out, it would make it easier and faster for the start time to default to 8:00am and end time to default to 5:00pm. The start and end DATE could still pull from what the current day is. It would help when sending this information to Zapier to correctly interpret what a “full day” is.

Ardi_Ghorashy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

enable making one of the items from the picklist the default value.

Brian_Kuyath
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey everybody! So, I would love this feature too.

When a new user is onboarded into our platform, we have a certain number of steps we want the user to go through to complete their onboarding. We track these steps in a Status column that’s field type is “Single select”. The field has four different options, and we want the first option to be the default when a new user is added to the table. As you all know, this isn’t possible in Airtable for the moment. However, it occurred to me that Airtable’s new(ish) Automations feature might be able to solve the problem, and the good news is that it did. :slightly_smiling_face:

Steps to create a default value for a Single select field type using an Automation:

1. Click Automations (top-right) >> New Automation
  2. Name the automation
  3. Click “Choose Trigger” button
  4. Click “When a record matches a condition…”
  5. Under Conditions, select “When [Status] [is empty]”
  6. In the “Select a table” field, select the table where the record is created (e.g. Users), and click “Run test” (make sure the test runs successfully, you will need a record with an empty Status)
  7. Click “Done”

Screenshot for reference on the “Triggers” segment (Steps 1–7)

1. Click “Add Action”
  2. Click “Update Record”
  3. Under “Record ID” click the [+] button
  4. In the dropdown, next to “Record (from Step 1)”, click “Continue”
  5. From the list select “Record ID”
  6. Click “Choose Field”
  7. Click “Status” (or whatever your field you want to update)
  8. In the Status field, enter the text of the default status (in our particular case, the default status is “On Deck”), and click Run test (make sure the test ran successfully)
  9. Click Done
  10. Last, but not least, make sure to toggle the Automation to ON in the top-right corner.

Screenshot for reference on the “Actions” segment (Steps 8–17)

::phew:: That was a lot! And a bit confusing, to be honest. Setting the Record ID (step 10) and entering the default value (step 15) were not clear at all when I was going through this. I hope this helps some of you!

• B
TFP
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

You might be interested in https://miniextensions.com/autofill-default-value-for-airtable-records/ as mentioned earlier by Set defaults on fields

I haven’t found any other automated solution besides Set defaults on fields (but it’s more work, and count towards your automation executions count)

steve_harley
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

me too … this one of the real time-wasters in my current project testing out Airtable; yes i saw the workarounds, and if i had thousands, rather than just a couple hundred records to deal with, it would be worth the effort to build the workaround

Martin_Bernstor

Strong upvote here! Would love it for checkbox fields, and should be easy to implement.

Mike_Ball
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I asked this question 5 years ago and still nothing! Pathetic to be honest and a platform that lately spends more time down than up.

So disappointed but looking for an alternative platform

Emre_Baran
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

IT is very disappointing to see this feature was never actions in 5 years. I just started using airtable, thinking it would replace an old spreadsheet I have. This was my first requirement beyond the simple spreadsheet functionality.

Mike_Ball
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Exactly Emre, unfortunately they are way more interested on new functionality than simple issues in the base product. I loved Airtable, told everyone it was the answer to every problem but I’m completely disillusioned with it now