Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Set defaults on fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Mike_Ball
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Simply the ability to set a default on fields other than numeric

On a date, the obvious is Today

On a string, just set a default value

138 Comments
Chris_Jeffries
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Has anyone managed to get this to work with Zapier? I tried the suggestion to filter by a kanban view but zapier does not list kanbans in the list. Searching the field for โ€œUncategorizedโ€ or leaving blank both donโ€™t work.

Iโ€™m very surprised this hasnโ€™t been implemented considering the $150 million+ raised in 2018. For single select this would be as easy as adding one of those switch toggles used in filtering (โ€œnone ofโ€ option) to flag which should be the default. What gives?

Chris_Jeffries
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Update: I was able to set up an Integromat integration that updates all empty records (Status=โ€™โ€™) to the default value. It runs at 15 minute intervals in the free tier which is sufficient for my needs.

Brett_D
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator
  • 1 defaults for datetime.

I use my table as a task tracker tool for my team.

Sam_Wood
5 - Automation Enthusiast

FormNano now has the ability to set default values for fields, thanks to all who worked with me on this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Iโ€™d also like this functionality to make it possible to create empty fields in case of duplicating.

Use case: a lot of linked fields are hidden in complex bases (e.g. API filled fields). When people duplicate a row those hidden links are duplicated with it. Thatโ€™s not always behavior thatโ€™s wanted.

Luca1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, if you havenโ€™t come to a solution yet, press CMD+รฒ to insert the current date on italian keyboard. I pressed all the keys to get itโ€ฆ

Derek_Adams-Whi

Please, please, please can we have defaults for every field?!

Zane_Jacobs

It looks like plenty of people have chimed in but: Dear Airtable, please allow single selects to have a default value. Without it, Iโ€™m spending time manually going in and adding the status of the record every time I add a new one. And frankly, if I forget, my team thinks the record isnโ€™t thereโ€ฆ I might try the workaround in the meanwhile, mentioned above, but this is a clear need for Airtable.

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We built this tool: miniextensions.com/autofill-default-value-for-airtable-records. It allows you to set a default value for single selects or any other field. It can be scheduled to periodically autofill new records with the default value so that your table is always updated.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 2.38.59 AM

Colleen_Briant
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How is this still not an option? I literally do not understand. I need a default for a multi-line text field - why does it only exist for single line? This makes no sense.