Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Sharing editing access to one view and non-hidden fields only

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Ziptie
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I want to build a database and give selective access for users to view and update certain records and fields. I donโ€™t want to give them full access to the whole base, for privacy reasons and to prevent people from getting confused and making changes in the wrong places. Right now it seems like itโ€™s all of nothing, but Iโ€™m not sure.

The View Only and Form modes donโ€™t work for me, as this doesnโ€™t let people view the relevant data on a particular record, and update notes and specific information about that particular record.

Is there a way to create a view and only share that view and all of its non-hidden fields for editing? If not, please add that feature! Or airtable will no longer work for our purposes.

Thank you!

12 Comments
Allen_Hammock_h
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I share Ziptieโ€™s need. I need to give Editors the ability to view and edit any tables, views, or fields that are not hidden. If they are hidden I need them to be visible only to creators. This is a tremendously important form of encapsulation. I do not need this for privacy per se, but I need to hide the internals of how non-hidden fields and views work to prevent user confusion and frustration.

Ideally, any of the following field types could be hidden and therefore only visible to Creators:

• Hide individual fields in a table
  • Hide entire views
  • Hide entire tables
  • Hide some dashboards
  • Hide some blocks in dashboards
  • Force some dashboards to be visible (not minimized) at least upon initial view

In this way, I can be confident of building complex rules into my tables about how information is computed, presented and edited without necessarily burdening Editors with having to differentiate between what they are supposed to know and think about and what they need to know and think about.

Andy_Page
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Need this exact function as well

Marktable
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Same here. Would be a huge help for us. We work as a organizer on projects with dozens of clients and partners and would like to give each side a view of their many-to-many relationships.

Goal here is to allow clients to view progress on their projects, and give partners the ability to see which clients they are working with.

I want partners to be able to give status updates on all of their projects and then our clients can automatically see how their project is being fulfilled by the partners working on it.

It doesnโ€™t make sense to add 50 people as collaborators to achieve this with the current pricing structure.

Paul_Good

This ^^^. Having to make a master database just to make copies if i want editors on it.

Another use case is: Making a client facing. I want them not only to have view access but can edit it. I end up having to make views for each table that shows me which records I have to delete.

Even if you restrict this behind a paywall, I am sure people will pay for it.

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We built a tool that allows you to share only fields that you select.

Admin_Publicis

Hey guys, i had the same issue so we built this to sync base together so we can share a portion of base with edit access to our clients.
if you are interested click here

Admin_Publicis

Hi there, just following up about syncing part of your airtable base with clients and partners.
We released the beta version, you can signup there : https://trybases.com

Theodore_Suther
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there an updated solution to this on Airtable? Couldnt find anything as new features.

Sophia_Pettit
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, Iโ€™d also like an update on this as Iโ€™m looking for the same answers. Cheers

M_Bagriacik
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi guys, check https://update-airtable.io/ out. With that solution you can do it !
Watch the video on their page and the demo with direct access to play around on that page.

@Paul_Good
@Marktable
@Moe
@Sophia_Pettit
@Theodore_Sutherland