Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Sort and Manually Re-order Groups

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenInDallas
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I love the fact that, in Grid View, you can manually re-order records, and sort by a variety of criteria. But it would also be nice if you could sort and manually re-order GROUPS of records, when displaying in groups.

Currently, the only option is an alphabetical sorting of groups. That just doesn’t work for our project management base, in which we commonly create views for a particular user, sorted by status (in progress, with client, on hold, etc) or by priority. It would be great to be able to put the most relevant groups at the top.

14 Comments
Susan_Halevi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree! I just created my first Airtable, which shows all open projects, grouped by the name of the project leader. The groups appear in alphabetical order; I would like to group them in order of the leader’s seniority. (The most senior project leader also has the most projects, and their projects all involve other team members, so there are several reasons for putting them at the top.)

As you explain, organizations have lots of reasons to re-order the groups manually, so this feature would be very helpful!

Eugene_Marshall
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agreed! It would be great to be able to manually re-order groups the way we manually re-order records.

Amanda_Violet_N
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey folks -

You should be able to re-order groups by going to the “Design Pipeline (Kaban View)” in your project, then clicking-and-dragging the stacks. This will reorder your groups in all other views as well.

Good luck!
-A

@Susan_Halevi @Eugene_Marshall

Lauren_Scalf
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Depending on what type of field you have, you can reorder within the field type, then your groups will be in that order. So for example one of my field types is the Single Select field and I reordered things in there and now my groups are in that order. You can see in this gif I made: https://cl.ly/8b4d92a807db

Colin_Wong
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This worked! Awesome and thanks.

Mark_McGuire
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Perfect solution. Thanks for creating and sharing the GIF.

Nicholas_Mattso
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Great solution! Well done and well said.

Artem_Dzyuba
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This solution doesn’t help, when you group by “Link to”. Suppose yuo want to group Tasks by Projects from other table. The only sorting possible is alphabetical. So, have to number my projects like “1 Make the video”, “2 Plan my trip” so on. Not convenient

klonaway
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Highly hoping for this “Groups advanced sorting” feature.

Granted, for single-select fields, you can manually reorder the options, which translates to groups based that single-select field.

But for text fields, for instance ? Alphabetical is often meaningless.

Expected feature : under the “Group by” dropdown, for each grouping choice, I would love to see an “Advanced sorting” checkbox to open a “Sort by” sub-dropdown similar to the main “Sort by” dropdown.

Sounds fishy, but would add quite a lot of control to views, and would release me from my current filter/unfilter workaround…

Shane_Shepherd
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

You can do this in similar way to the way that Lauren_Scalf mentions.

Click on “Group”
Then click “Pick a field to group by”
Go to the column that shows all the tags which helped to make the grouped filter do its job.
Click on the tiny downward facing arrow.
Click “Customize field type”
On the left of each group name you will see the 6 dots, hold your mouse over it and it will change to a hand symbol.
Just shift the groups into your desired position.
once done, just click “Save”
Voila!.. you have now sorted that group filter however you like.

Now, do the same thing with each of the other group filters, until each one is exactly how you like it.