Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Template Records?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ralston_Vaz
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is there a way to make a template for a type of record that will be used multiple times for new instances of the same kind?

For example, I follow a seven-step process when designing logos. I have a base tracking projects using records that include details like tasks to complete. The seven steps I follow are captured as tasks for each project record. I’m finding that I’d have to recreate the list tasks for every logo design project. It’s a lot of repetitious work.

If there’s a way to make a template of a logo design record to start with and customize for each new project instance without lingering link issues that would be fantastic!

Is that possible in Airtable without any add-on app? If not, can it be made possible?

4 Comments
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, Ralston! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: It sounds like you want to make not just one record, but a series of records representing repeating steps in your process. Perhaps this thread will give you some direction on how to pull that off in Airtable:

Ralston_Vaz

Thanks for the welcome, Justin.

Maybe there’s an answer in that thread and demonstration, but it’s quite complex and difficult for me to find a simple, useable answer to my question.

It might just be my newness to Airtable, but this doesn’t really help me today. Still, I appreciate the recommendation.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

@Ralston_Vaz,

One of the issues in Airtable especially is that the more complex a process is, the more challenging it is to create a simple solution.

This process should be seamless and automatic - no human should have to do anything for the base to be created and configured and ready to use. The Airtable API is how I would approach this, but I suspect you could create this with alternatives like Zapier or maybe the ideas in this video.

Ralston_Vaz

Thanks, Bill. Great video.

So it seems the answer to my question is “no.” There isn’t currently a way in Airtable to make a template for a type of record that will be used multiple times for new instances of the same kind without use of any add-on app, external service, or coding.

Thank you. I hope, then, that this product suggestion makes its way to the right people at Airtable.