Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

URL--Text to Display Feature

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samantha_Allema
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I think it would be nice to have the option to hyperlink with different text showing, like any basic HTML hyperlinking. Like I can even do in this forum if I needed to.

Visually, having the url just there isn’t appealing.

163 Comments
Lynn_Walton

plus 1. Also, does anyone know if you can currently have a url field entered in a page designer block be clickable?

Kendrick_Molina
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer
  • 1 , Plus one, I would like the feature to be customized, for example when you enter a tracking number for UPS/Fed Ex you can click the text and can be customized to do let say a google search for that tracking number.
Hugo_Damasio
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Having a link a being able to specify the display text is very useful for usability and readability

Mike_Yarbrough
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Can’t believe this isn’t already a feature. Definitely needed.

Virterra_Land_L
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yep, I agree, this may very well be a deal breaker for me. Unfortunate.

Bruce_Maples

I am somewhat amazed that this isn’t possible. I tried doing a regular HTML link using <a and so forth, and that didn’t work either.

I’ve got some hyperlinks that are crazy long (links to data in Evernote), and putting them into a cell just looks ridiculous. And, if I want to link within text, I can’t do it.

Loving Airtable for the most part, but this just seems nuts that it’s not implemented.

Jared_Evans
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for me, too. Organizing information and making it accessible is what databases are all about. When I have multiple hyperlinks associated with a single record, I’d not only like it to look cleaner, but replacing link text is crucial to this being usable.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

It’s funny - companies - by and large - tend to struggle to understand customer needs. Here’s a case where there is no ambiguity, the request was made a third of a decade ago, and the feature in question is proven, used in many products, and a common approach to improving data usability. Yet, here we are begging for something that ostensibly goes without saying.

But, we have a cool new web clipper. [sigh]

Airtable has clearly demonstrated a very deep skill set for building really useful stuff, but they need to make better choices concerning priorities.

Just sayin…

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

@Bill.French While this doesn’t invalidate your point about it taking so long to implement, this specific feature (URLs with custom display text) is in beta now along with about 5 other highly requested features (i.e. bold/italic text, headings, bulleted/numbered lists, checklists, code blocks). I imagine it took so long since their apparent approach was to tackle them all in one solution:

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

It’s great to hear there’s progress forthcoming.

But I would like to add that product management is a really key influencer in growing the customer base by ensuring priorities are carefully measured. For example …

A feature such as bold/italic text, while needed and certainly expected, is just one feature. In contrast - stark contrast actually - is a string method like Split() which has vast and deep-reaching impact on the ability to create new features and solve many data management challenges. Split() would resolve more than two dozen “feature” shortcomings of the product.

Product management should have ranked the importance of Split() (which was requested a full half-decade ago) well above a web clipper and perhaps more critical than bold/italic text.

This is the difference between features that help and features that help people help themselves, the latter of which tend to be boundless.