Link to other base

+1

Absolutely want to see this feature implemented soon.

3 Likes

+1 - I would take this feature even if there were no other new features for a year.

3 Likes

Love Airtable so far, it has helped extremely with our overall organization.

Also, I apologize, I wrote this out in a new feature request and then found this open ticket so I just copy + pasted my initial quandary.

The one major issue we have started to come across is a way to manage multiple bases the same information in different capacities. i.e. we make clothing, so we would like a way to list all of our assets that go into the making of a final product on one sheet, quantity, date received, vendor, etc. On top of that also have a status sheet that allows us to identify the parts from the other base into the new one with the production aspects, being that the parts of it are now one product in production needing another sheet with status; where is it at, what factory, who is working on it? Beyond that even further another spreadsheet to correlate after this item is now a sellable item in our store and on our e-commerce site. All these aspects are different parts of the whole end product, and yes we could make one massive spreadsheet but it is a lot of information to be all on one base and that is a little too overwhelming and not quite how we would like our inventory/production tracking sheets to work. Is that kind of cross referencing possible?

3 Likes

This feature would unlock so much potential for our team and empower us to spend time more time producing and less time managing.

2 Likes

+1 for me too. I would use it for connecting a central database of people with multiple events that involve the same people. This saves copying and pasting a table between bases, with the potential for duplication errors and version tracking to arise.

1 Like

PS: if this was a pro feature, I would buy the Pro account just for it.

7 Likes

+1 (+ 100 actually because of all my team)

This is so needed. We now have to have a ton of tables across the same base and many are not relevant from one to another. Would pay more for this.

2 Likes

+1 this would be really useful!

1 Like
  • This would be very useful and is quite needed!
1 Like

+1 We would be able to support multiple levels of user/role access if we had this capability and could extend our use of airtable considerably

3 Likes

+1 We’re trying to find the balance between usability (not having 100s of tables in a base) and power (having different departments all rolling their projects up to company wide efforts and this seems to be the missing link.

2 Likes

+1

It would be great if Airtable could at least give us some indication that this is being explored and a timeframe. It’s honestly the one feature that I think is holding Airtable back from broader uses.

Ps. Otherwise love the product and have been using for quite some time now at work and at home.

5 Likes

@Katherine_Duh @Andrew @Airtable_Team +1 It is highly disconcerting that no one from the company addresses this enormous thread and highly vocal demand. Like most, i’m a paying customer and happy to stay one, but need this functionality.

8 Likes

@Katherine_Duh There is a straight-forward common thread in all the use cases. The vast majority of use cases I’m reading here have to do with data normalization and reuse of functionality. People don’t want to duplicate the same data and features across different bases.

It’s pretty simple, IMO:

• If I have a list of people, I don’t want to recreate my CRM functionality across multiple bases and have duplication.
  • If I have a list of products, I don’t want to recreate my entire product-catalog functionality across multiple bases and have duplication.

Most relational databases allow you to link across databases, and some even allow you to link across database servers. This may be restricted to virtual views, read-only access, or whatever. But it is an essential feature when working with complex database, which I’m sure most of your customers evolve into over time.

I haven’t read every post here, but reading several of the recent posts, it seems like an update on your considerations and status on this would be greatly appreciated.

12 Likes

I thought that this idea was so self explanatory that I submitted a support request thinking I was too dumb to find the feature. I second this request.

7 Likes

+1 from here - need this so badly.

3 Likes

Waiting for this feature

4 Likes

@Katherine_Duh - having thought about this for a couple of days, the most elegant solution in my mind would be the ability to “import a view” of a table from one base to another.

If I’m in Base A, I could have a table from Base B represented in A as a read-only, dynamically-updating view. I could then use those records in Base A. Users in Base A would have read-only view access to that table.

Then you could have a feature that shows where else a table is being used, e.g., the Base B team can see that one of their tables has been imported to 3 other Bases, and be in touch with those teams if they’re making a schema change, for instance.

4 Likes

+1 As @Javid_Jamae said, the ability to NOT recreate the same data across different bases (products, for example).

3 Likes

I am sure Airtable does understand the importance of this feature but they are not able to figure out the right solution I guess.

3 Likes