Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

2b862daedc04fd36ef132dac5f543f6c4c717332

Hey community!

Today we are officially launching several brand new automation features to help you build more robust workflows.

• Automation trigger: at a scheduled time
  • Automation action: find records
  • Rendering records as a list

One of the best applications for these new features is making an email digest, where you can schedule a time to send a list of records that match the conditions you set. To see how all of these features come together to build an email digest, see this support article.

Below you’ll find a shorter summary of each new feature.

At a scheduled time trigger

trigger_options

The “At a scheduled time” trigger allows you to trigger (or run) an automation at a pre-designated date and time. You can choose to run at regular intervals (in hours or minutes) or at set time on specific days of the week.

Find records action

action_options

This action will look for records matching conditions that you can specify within the action settings. If a record that matches the conditions is found, you can add a following action that uses the record data to perform some other action.

Render records as a list

render_list
This new feature lets you use the records found in the “find records” trigger and render them as a list within an email. You can select which fields to include, and render them as a list of records in the email.

Share your feedback

Our developers would love to hear your feedback around this feature, so feel free to comment in this topic with any questions or ideas on how we can improve.

64 Comments
Ahmed_Elagami
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

@Jason , Thank You so much for these amazing features, it’s way neat and reliable than Zapier email digest process.

I have one concern though, If I am setting up my trigger to push every day at 10:00 am with the conditional set up to find these records. Sometimes there are no matching records but still, it triggers the email with empty records?
There should be a must-stop to trigger this email if there are no matching records at this day and time
What do you think about that?

Thanks for your time
Ahmed

Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth
  • 1! Just emailed support for this. Getting this feedback from multiple customers.

Also: being able to “find records” + update them would be a huge step forwards.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Back when automations were first introduced last year, there was a teaser comment made by one of the devs on Twitter indicating that conditional logic for automations was also in the works. It would be an easy way to solve your problem, but we’re still waiting for it.

Tadd_Hunt1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I love being able to send automated email digests, but please strongly consider implementing the sorting sooner rather than later. :pray:t2:

The purpose of the “grid” is to include multiple records, but without a way to sort the information for the reader, it’s almost useless and doesn’t look professional to them. My grid has appointment dates, but the records and dates are all scattered in a random order which makes readers confused.

Adrian_Ross
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Thanks for this awesome feature! Unfortunately, using the “Render HTML as Grid” leaves a little bit to be desired since it truncates text & isn’t totally responsive (I’m not sure if that’s possible w/ email anyways, just saying!). That is literally my only complaint about this!

Mariusz_S
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I have a base where sometimes the “find records” action returns no records.
Therefore the email digest automation fails.
As I understand there’s no fallback option at the moment if that happens?

Edit:

Hi @Jason, is there a way you could add a fallback option?
An alternative would be for me to switch off notifications when the automation fails but that’s not an option either :frowning:

Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Nope, unfortunately.

AlliAlosa
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Loving this new feature, but I’m seeing some really wonky formatting when sending the grid through Airtable’s “Send Email” action.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 12.58.29 PM

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Alicia_Berg

Hi! So excited to use this feature!

I am experiencing an issue with some fields not populating. This happened for two different fields I added to the grid. One was a “Record Url” field and the other is a single line field (see picture).

Is anyone else experiencing this? I feel like I am setting up everything right, but I really want to get this cruising for my team…so I’m hoping it’s something I did wrong that I can fix quickly!

Thanks!!

airtable-support-grid-digest|614x500

Rebecca_Elam
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

maybe try a long text field instead of a single line?