1179 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jose_Mendez
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Trying to copy one field to another in the same table as stated in this article Update record Action – Airtable - Support

I got a Received invalid inputs error message

13 Replies 13

Thanks for posting the screenshot. The key phrase in that error message is “shared drives.” In short, Airtable can only access spreadsheets that you created in your own Google account. If the spreadsheet was shared by someone else, it’s not available.

Unfortunately Airtable doesn’t provide a way to add data by position (i.e. column 1 from the spreadsheet goes into the first field in Airtable, column 2 into the second field, etc.). This is probably because field order in Airtable isn’t static. Each view can have the fields (with the exception of the primary field) in different positions. Whether you’re using the import features or an automation, you need to manually specify which field will receive each column’s data.

Hi Justin,

That explains it. This is very clear and informative and really helps. Thanks a ton for your support.

A couple of other questions:

1. Since there are over a hundred columns in the Google sheet information from which has to be imported into Airtable fields, in principle, will automation be able to handle it (once the shared sheet problem has been overcome that is?)

2. Will changing the names of the fields in Airtable mess up the automation?

3. In Zapier, there is an automation that creates a new row in Airtable when a Google sheet record is either updated or created. Does this mean that updated Google sheet records will result in new rows in Airtable bases?

1. I’m not aware of a limitation on the number of fields that an automation step can update. Then again, I’ve never been in a position to test any possible limits, but the documentation doesn’t mention a maximum number of updated fields, so 100+ should be doable as far as I know.
  2. In most places where fields are referenced, Airtable is fluid enough to know when names are changed and react accordingly. This is largely because the name is just a label. Under the hood, each field has its own ID, and Airtable connects to a given field by its ID, not its label/name.
  3. If you use Airtable’s built-in “Google Sheets: When a row is created” trigger, it’s that literal: only a brand new row will trigger the automation. If you’re using the Zapier trigger to run a zap, then either creating or updating a spreadsheet row will cause the zap to run. What that zap does—whether it creates records, updates records, etc.—is up to you to determine based on the zap design.

Hi Justin,

Thanks for all the inputs. The level of support you have provided is amazing. Very grateful!