Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to lock fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rebecca_Flores
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Unless Im missing it, I would like the ability to lock changes to fields in a base and/or records. Would help prevent accidental deletion. I discovered several days later I had done this…

76 Comments
Daniel_Farina1

This is so important. The single most important for advanced iterations with sensitive data from our company.
100+

nathaniel_pulsi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Agreed- major need for this in our organization too

Maleenee_Beuhle
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Katherine! Are there any updates regarding the creation and or release of this feature? It would be very helpful for our team to have this capability. Thanks!

Mandy_Saunders
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We have just started using airtable and love it! But as well as agreeing with the requests above we have another use case. I would like to be able to choose to ‘lock’ individual entries in a particular field, ideally with a ‘two-step’ action required to change it (so a popup asks if you are sure)

We have an entry in our table that defines if a record can be seen by our customers of not. I’d like to make that one harder to change so that we can be more confident that data that is only required internally stays internal.

Markus_Mayer-Ro
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1111111 for this.

We log time entries for tickets. Once a ticket has been invoiced to the client no more time entries must be made to this specific record.

Mostafa_Abusamr
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

any update on this matter?

Ryan_Wychopen

How is this not already implemented? I have only been using this for a few days and already have accidentally deleted critical information on my first sheet. I, fortunately was able to go back and undo, but when I share this base, it is going to be CHAOS.

Alexis_Villain
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 this feature is really needed!

nnnnneil
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

@Katherine_Duh We love the new lockable views that we use as triggers for Zaps / automation. The next logical thing for us would be to have lockable columns for other views which store the data that comes out of a Zap or other automation. For example, a single select column that shows the status of an order. Where automation manages the status of that order, you’d want to lock that column.

Jasmine_Ruth
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Katherine-

I have one very specific way that I think could help a lot of people and doesn’t seem like it would be too hard on your end. The ability to lock a “linked record” so additions cant be made to the list by free type. For example, we use a database for pricing, when a printing material is selected as a linked record, a square ft price populates to price out a sign. However, because there’s no way to “Lock” the linked record column someone could potentially free type a material, which then would auto populate the sq.ft.price with $0 and not price out the item. If we could make it so they can only select one of the linked record options, then the only way to add to the linked records is to go to that tab, that would be very helpful in our case. See below. So if you added an option such as “Lock this column. Records may only be added from the tab this is linked to” or something much better worded, would be great. P.S. I checked and this can NOT be done by user, unless they are read only. An editor can click “Add new record” which would add a new item to the column. When a “single select” or “multiple select” an editor can not add to the list, this is how I’d like the “linked records” to work in this case.