Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Double Click on Field Name - Restore Customize Field Functionality!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_Warren1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello Airtable, Please, please please reverse this change!

Double-clicking on the field name now only modifies the name of the field. It is a pain to have to right-click to access this menu. I don’t want to be overdramatic and claim this will totally ruin Airtable, but it’s much less efficient than the old method.

I also noticed that when creating a new field, the field type is now the first dialog. Then we are prompted to put in a name. This is fine and I can get used to the new workflow. I understand that this reduces the number of times I use “Tab” to move between dialog boxes.

I love Airtable and hope it continues to make progress! Just not the progress I don’t like :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

120 Comments
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

That’s a pretty broad brush you’re painting with there, and I don’t believe that assertion to be entirely true. We have no idea how many complaints Airtable has received directly about the old/current behavior. It’s entirely possible that they’ve been swamped with complaints/questions from users who are confused by the all-in-one design, but we’d never know about it unless those same people also posted here. We can’t accurately judge strictly by what we see in this forum.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

That’s true. It does seem like, as @kuovonne mentioned above, that Airtable is more responsive via their support email address than this community here.

The only thing we can really evaluate is what we can see in the forums here. We have the #show-and-tell:product-suggestions category which is filled with tons of repeat requests for certain fixes & certain improvements over the years that have gone unanswered. (I’m compiling my “top list” of these requests which I will be posting as soon as I have time to clean it up and make it readable.)

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Is that a list of your personal top favorites, or aggregated “most likes received/most comments/most duplicated requests?”

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

It’s not really a scientific sampling, but it’s essentially a list of requests that I’ve personally seen repeatedly requested during this year — usually pulled from threads that go back several years of people requesting the same thing.

If I saw it come up enough times, I added it to my list.

Also, if the requests personally affected me or my clients, it definitely made the list! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So yes, some of my “personal favorites” combined with “community favorites”.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I don’t expect Airtable to implement new feature request simply because people request them in this forum. This forum is designed for community interaction with occasional Airtable involvement. Airtable is under no obligation to respond to user initiated conversations on these forums. Also, just because many people request a new feature doesn’t mean that it could or should be implemented.

On the other hand, support request are different. Airtable does have an obligation to read and reply to support requests, depending on your subscription level. I just got an email today that the engineering team confirmed a bug that I reported to support, and they will work on fixing it. I was also given a workaround to use in the meantime.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

It would be interesting to compare you list with @Bill.French’s lists.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I don’t actually make lists or even spend any time tracking issues. From time-to-time I search my own business intelligence indices looking for patterns. Mostly, I do this to add some clarity when users make broad, unsubstantiated and misleading claims about products.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Why? What value does this provide? There are things about Airtable that bug me, but I don’t see the value in sharing a list of them with an audience, let alone compiling the list in the first place. I might mention one or two in passing when solving someone’s problem or making a video, but I don’t see how tracking them benefits anyone. It just feels like you’re trying to find as many flaws as possible. I’d rather focus on what it can do, not what it can’t do.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Indeed. We can only make inferences and we should be very cautious about the community content as a source of deeply accurate information; it’s just a piece of a much larger puzzle. Bear in mind, every competitive vendor is represented here.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Only 75? :flushed:

Recommendation- post the top seven because humans struggle digesting lists greater than seven. Then link each of the seven to categories of related or similar issues.