Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Field names visible with narrow columns

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Danarone
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator
What is the proposed idea/solution?

This idea proposes more dynamic options for scaling, rotating or providing 'hovering information' for text in Field Headings so they are readable when columns are narrow in Grid View and List Views.

Currently text very easily becomes truncated and unreadable. Row height helps with field contents but not Field Headings. Hovering only works if there is a Description in the Field. 

Note: this idea is essentially requesting behavior that you see in most spreadsheet programs. 

• Here is a typical Grid view...

Airtable Field text 1.png

• When you shrink the columns it looks like this which is too easily truncated and unreadable...

Airtable Field text 2.png

Proposed Idea A:

• Enable hovering context information for all text whether there is a Description in the Field or not. 
  • If there is a Field Description it would be displayed underneath the Field Name in the floating context window. 

Airtable Field text 3.png

Proposed Idea B:

• Field Names can be rotated (similar to spreadsheets). Maybe 45 and 90 (as shown below)
  • Field Names and all other text scales down to ~6 point before it begins truncating. Like the 'In Progress' text below  
  • Overall make the margins in all fields super tight. 
  • Field Row Height can be changed so the text wraps and stacks. (Not shown below but you get the idea)

Airtable Field text 4.png

How does is solve the user problems?

Keeps information readable when trying to conserve screen real-estate. 

How was this validated?

Not validated yet. 

Who is the target audience?

Creators who are trying to show as much information as possible on the screen while keeping information readable. 

5 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, this is one of my top feature requests! Be sure to email support@airtable.com about this!

timkim180
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

this would be awesome!!! so helpful

elliekitten3
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

YES please.  Having your field names be readable with more narrow field widths would be SO nice. Airtable is great, but they could really benefit from some formatting options that seem to be basic to most spreadsheets. I use the Grid View most frequently, and if this is implemented, I hope it works in grid view, and the solution isn't just another view that only helps in certain situations.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yeah, it's pretty nuts that it's 2024 and this still hasn't been implemented. Be sure to email support@airtable.com about this!

elliekitten3
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I emailed them! There is a whole page of results when you google "Airtable wrap text header" or something similar. The lack of basic formatting options is a real drawback with Airtable.