Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Form to edit data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Harkn
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

At the moment the form only allows input of new data. Can we have a form for editing existing records? At the moment we can only edit in the table meaning I can’t present the records the way I want. Can’t even hide columns on mobile, meaning the users are free to wreak havoc on the existing data :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

163 Comments
Michael_Layani
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Curtis,

Thanks! My needs are very simple: I have a records of tasks in a specific table. One of the fields of each record is “task complete” checkbox. I want the option of a simple form that any person can update if he completed the task.

Stacker requires that one of the fields would be an email address ( which I dont have nor need).
If you hae any other ideas would be happy to hear.

Thanks and have a great weekend ahead,

Michael

Curtis_Fonger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Does this solve your use case?

Daniel_Swid
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Not for me. Typically we have only a small handful of people who are managing airtable, while I have over 100 people who will be submitting information via a form. Then we want to have peer review sessions and have the authors who submitted the form to go back and revise their submissions.

So in this way if airtable had a way to give people edit permissions to a submission in a base, by creating account or even anonymous write access (like an open google doc) that would make this possible. I’m not too worried about people messing things up.

Another example is that I’m using Airtable for a ‘members directory’. I want each person to be able to update and edit their own profile information. These people do not need (and I don’t want them to have) full access to any of my bases or manage content, just a small bit of information and for them to be the owners and stewards of that information.

So to summarize succinctly for you

When I have asked many people to submit a form, and those people who submitted the form are also responsible for editing/updating/managing their submission, I want airtable to provide a way to give submitters sovereignty over their submission so that I don’t have to make trivial edits on anyone’s behalf and so I can focus on more important stuff like managing data structures, information workflows, integrations, publishing, compliance etc.

Jesseca_Ryan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes - we need this too!

Derek_Footer
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Same need as many – we use a table to track startups through our vetting and due diligence process. We have different events that gather data in big chunks, after which we curate all the data in a single Google Doc template via Zapier. It would be far more efficient for us to be able use forms to add to the record rather than using an expanded record. And setting up a Zapier process is way too kludgy. Please add this functionality.

Curtis_Fonger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi @Daniel_Swid @Jesseca_Ryan @Derek_Footer! I now have a working implementation that should enable this. Please reach out at curtis@whaleform.com if you would like to try it out.

Andrew_Wright
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

MINIEXTENSIONS HAS THIS FEATURE.
My Airtable functionality has improved 10 fold since using these extensions.
100% RECOMMEND FOR SMALL BUSINESS USE CASES

jn08
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It looks like Miniextensions does this exactly how I’d like it - it’s just quite expensive. In Australian dollars it’s over $50 a month. Given I only use it a handful of times a month I’m not sure it’s better than my kludgy Zapier based solution to this issue, which is significantly cheaper and allows me to do a bunch of other things with Zapier.

If it was ~$10 a month I’d probably use it.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

It always amazes me that in a climate of deep and precise analytics, vendors cannot build solutions based on micro-payments. We can know with perfect knowledge how many times any process is executed and how many milliseconds in resources the process consumed. We can even predict web services demand within 99.5% accuracy.

But tie that activity to shape a discrete and precise pricing model to vastly capture a large share of users?

Nah - we’re too lazy to go the trouble of eliminating all pricing objections from a vast ocean of potential buyers who just pass us by.

Mini Extensions, Zapier, Airtable, Integromat - why aren’t you creating value propositions that are irresistible to every buyer?

Antonia_Lavende

Oren, did you find a solution to this problem? It’s very similar to my own.