Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Elidad_Zerach
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

YES TO THIS!!! At this point it dosenโ€™t matter to me, one bit, that Airtable adds any features if there is no access to my data when I am in the field. No matter how great the product is, itโ€™s useless to me.
And I wish it were not.

Federico_Alegre
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a mandatory feature to me!!! I love Airtable, but it is very limiting not being able to use it in places with no or poor coverage. I would migrate a lot of information to Airtable if this feature was present.

Adrienne_Bennet
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am so sad. I thought I had confirmed that this app would work offline. I spent a whole day setting up a great Workflow base, which I love but is worthless unless it can be accessed in the field.

• How would you want to use Airtable offline? We are a small general contracting business. We would use the app in the field to access phone numbers, lock box codes, notes, etc.

• Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? Collaborators, but I canโ€™t think of an instance where any 2 people would be editing the same thing at the same time.

• How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline? At the very least, it would be good to have a read-only copy. Ideally a user would be able to make edits in the field.

• For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline? 5-10 hours.

• How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually? Very tolerant.

• Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? Mobile

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Iโ€™ll throw my +1 into the pile for this feature.

How would you want to use Airtable offline? It would just be nice to have access to view and edit stuff during those rare times when I donโ€™t have an Internet connection. I envision the app syncing to the cloud when it opens (as always), and containing settings so I can control which bases and tables I want to access offline. That data would be stored on my phone, and update as changes are made. Once thereโ€™s no connection, editing would continue as normal on those stored bases. Once reconnected, the app would sync changes back to the cloud.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? Primarily alone. I collaborate with a few clients, but currently donโ€™t have a need to see their bases offline, so it would just be me syncing with my own stuff.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline? Pretty much all existing features.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually? Pretty tolerant. I canโ€™t imagine very many conflicts arising because, again, Iโ€™m mostly working with my own stuff. If Iโ€™m in one of my own bases online, then do a little offline work, then go back online, there shouldnโ€™t be any conflicts because Iโ€™m the only one whoโ€™s been editing my stuff.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? Mobile, though I can see the benefits of the desktop app also having such a feature.

Geoff_Chatham
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How would you want to use Airtable offline? Pull up a database super quick without having to fetch it from the cloud every time I open my app to add some contact info when I meet people and add notes on them. Even just a cached version would suffice for quick access, and then if Iโ€™m truly offline allow it to save locally and sync any changes made next time I open it.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? Alone.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline? View and edit. No need for collaboration.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually? Thatโ€™s fine.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? Mobile.

Cameron_Young
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,

I was involved in building an iPad Inspection app where support for offline was mandatory. (In fact, lack of offline capability was a driving motivation to create the app in the first place since the vendor software didnโ€™t work adequately offline.)

Here are a few reasons to support offline.

• Work is done in a variety of places (including remote locations, or โ€œdead zonesโ€ in urban areas or buildings.)
  • Access to information and transaction processing must be provided even if there is a data disruption.

In my opinion, an enterprise would only choose an online-only platform for applications that were handled in a primary office (where there could be redundant data services), or for relatively unimportant applications where a service interruption could be tolerated. For mobile devices, this implies that AirTable is only suited for relatively unimportant applications - and the market will likely create a alternative suitable for important applications.

In our solution approach, we had a few strategies (that evolved over time) to support offline mode. This included:

• A local working data subset was delivered to each user as part of a โ€œSyncโ€ transaction. The database had a specific set of Offline metadata instructing the sync function which tables and fields needed to be delivered to mobile devices.
  • Configurations were versioned. Breaking configurations had to be applied with coordination with all users. (These were very rare once the system was in full production.)
  • Configuration (schema) changes could only be done using online tools. Offline was limited to transaction processing and data viewing.
  • Sync metadata was based on tables & forms used in mobile and offline-enabled forms.
  • Offline data validation was very important. This could be done either by custom mobile validation code (brute force) or by including data validation scripts in coordination with form definitions.
  • Offline data use was a mix of searches of read only data (addresses, contact details, history), alterations to in-progress transactions, and creating new transactions.
  • Individual transaction records could be edited until they were โ€œfinalizedโ€. (Transactions generally lived a relatively short time between created and finalized states.)
  • Data in widely shared tables (such as client contact details) were either read only while offline, or offline changes were packaged as a change request to be applied as a distinct transaction by an online user.
  • Synchronization detected conflicts and created a โ€œConflict Resolutionโ€ task - which included โ€œApplyโ€ or โ€œAbandonโ€ change. Conflicts were generally caused by an individual doing a transaction using multiple apps at overlapping times. (Editing using the iPad app while also editing online using a browser.) This problem diminished as users became familiar with the system.
  • It was important to create new data collection transactions.
  • It was important to generate PDF documents that could be printed while offline. (PDF templates needed to work offline.
  • Its a bit tangential, but we baked workflow into the sequence of forms associated with a transaction. This became quite powerful because the app โ€œbecameโ€ the SOP for the task. Having the SOP / SWI integrated into the app eliminate a lot of needless work - and created a better experience for the workers.

There are several big / complex systems aimed at this type of need (low-code / no-code) - but their adoption cost is high and lockin is high. I think AirTable has an opportunity to grow up from the simple / user-driven side and become a credible enterprise app.

Iโ€™m taking the time to respond to this now because regrettably I canโ€™t propose an AirTable solution to a client because AFAIK there is no offline support.

Regards,
Cameron

Marco
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I just started using Airtable this week and was loving the app but for some reason, completely neglected to check whether itโ€™s accessible offline. This is a big issue and Iโ€™m quite stunned that nobody from the Airtable team has chimed in or provided any sort of update as to whether itโ€™s even on the road map.

Has anyone here heard from the team on this issue?

Michael_Fischer

Dear Airtable Team,
offline access is a very important issue for me and many others. Can you please give us an update whether and when this is coming?

Regards,
Michael

arwill19
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Was super hoping after that long scroll I would get better newsโ€ฆIโ€™ve been very passionate about airtable, but if I am unable to use offline it makes me look to other options.

How would you want to use Airtable offline? Input date at field sites with no internet/cell service. Upload photos. I am a wildlife researcher in reserves in southern Utah.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? With field assistants. But if there is a master editor/single iPad that could be used we would do that.

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline? Probably offline for a few days with a data upload weekly.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline? Read only would be helpful, but ideally full editting.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually? Iโ€™m fine with this.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? I actually would prefer desktop.

Grant_Avery

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
Not a ton, but it would be super valuable for the minutes or days I happen to not have service: from the basement of my office to a road trip through the mountains

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
Currently alone, but Iโ€™ve been envisioning uses for collaboration where I currently use Google Sheets or nothing at all.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
Read-only would be way better than having no offline access. Ability to create/edit/delete records while offline would be a plus.

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?
See above: a couple minutes to a couple days.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
No problem โ€“ for me that would be much better than losing access to Airtable.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
Primarily mobile, but I can see situations where desktop browser use would be great.