Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Navigation Actions for Interface Designer & Automations

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesrutter
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast
What is the proposed idea/solution?

Feature: A button to run custom logic and navigate the user in the Interface.
Example: A button attached to a record view that when clicked does the following: 

1. Updates a field on the current record (e.g., update the "work request" (table) status field from "under review" to "approved")
  2. Create a new record in a related table (e.g., work orders), populated with any necessary data from the source record in step 1. 
  3. Navigate the user to the newly generated record, or a different page on the Interface. 
How does is solve the user problems?

This feature would allow for more complex UI/UX workflows and make Airtable a more powerful app-building tool with the Interface feature. Buttons or other UI components that could have logic attached could run logic to mutate data in tables before navigating and updating the UI.  Given that buttons can navigate users around the Interface, it seems like a useful feature would be to have some "middleware" logic run when there are button induced navigations. I wonder if this could be done by adding a "Navigate to Interface Page" action to automations or adding a "Run Script then Navigate" to the button actions options. 

How was this validated?

I am building a "computerized maintenance and management system (CMMS)" for my organization and wanted to develop a nice intuitive UI/UX for my staff, especially those that are not tech savvy. I also confirmed that it is not currently possible to replicate this UX with the current options in the Interface builder and Automations. 

Who is the target audience?

Airtable power users and app developers who are trying to leverage Airtable as a low-code app building platform. I am waffling between Airtable's Interface and using something like Glide, which offers navigation actions in their UI builder.