Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Parent/Child Filter

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ash_Nazarizadeh
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I brought this topic up over a year ago and I still don’t see it addressed by Airtable even though I see lots of folks talking about this essential need in various ways.

I will recap the topic here.

I have a Parent/Child relationship between 2 tables (a parent record and its child records).

I need a filter in the child table that says:

ParentId Contains ({Parent}.{Current Row()})

NOTE: the two tables are linked. each child record links to only one parent record.

This filter will allow only the child records belonging to the current parent record (Current Row in the Parent table ) to show, which could actually be turned into a view of the child table.

This rudimentary relationship filter will make the task of creating Parent/Child applications much easier.

Some Use Cases:

1. Order Header/Order Items
  2. Inventory Item and its Bill of Materials
  3. and a thousand other applications

I know that some folks (including myself) have suggested some lengthy alternatives. But it doesn’t make sense to jump through hoops to implement such essential filter!

3 Comments
Paul_Warren
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Are you looking to filter by a single Parent record, or a view of records in the Parents table? If just by a single record, then a button could easily be created for this.

If you are looking to filter by a View in the Linked Table, then I am 100% with! The added ease of use from filtering by linked tables would be huge!

Ash_Nazarizadeh
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’m am asking Airtable folk to add the filtering capability. How the capability is consumed would be up to the user. However, as you also mentioned, a view would be the way I’d use it. Creating something like that using button/scripting/etc. would be the “jump through hoops” option I want to avoid. This single filter would make creating full-fledged web apps using Airtable a lot easier.

Tim_Whitney1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this! It makes things very confusing for teams that I’m trying to convince that airtable is a good idea. A simple example - a Project with Tasks as children. When you click on the plus button to add another task, you should only see the tasks for THAT project. Seeing tasks for other projects is not relevant, never desired, and confusing. Also when you are adding the first Task, you should not see ANY in the available list - because you have not yet added any. Can I do a +10?? +10000?