Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Phone Number Format "CLICK TO CALL" option on Web App

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

It would be nice if Airtable added a “click to call” formatting for phone numbers. That way if you use Skype/Teams or another service you can simply click the phone number you want to call. The mobile app allows it, so not sure why we can’t have on web app.

29 Comments
RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Thanks for the update. I tried tel:// and it wants to work (it asks if i want to call using MS Teams), I select yes, then it gives me this error. I don’t think it likes the tel://, because if i just have tel: with the phone number it works in browser, however airtable doesn’t recognize tel: as a link :frowning:

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

This error dialog is kind’a proof that it did recognize it as a link and attempted to make the call. However, something else prohibited the call from being made.

RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Airtable DOES covert phone numbers with “tel://” into hyperlink, however when clicked it gives me that error in teams.
If Airtable would just recognize phone numbers with “tel:” as a hyperlink it will work fine. It just doesn’t seem to like the “//” which is needed for Airtable to recognize it as a hyperlink.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Yep - I get it.

I just performed two tests on my Mac/Chrome browser and the first link (without //) failed to do anything except open an empty browser window, whereas, the second test (with //) worked fine - it made the call.

Bear in mind, tel:// is a protocol not unlike http:// and in good form, most browsers interpret these protocol requests both with and without the //. But again, the interpretation of the protocol is on the receiving apps end of the court.

In my view, both formats should be supported by telephone apps just as mailto: and mailto:// work and http: and http:// work for most browsers.

RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Gotcha. Are you using Microsoft teams or another IP phone system? I am thinking it is just a MS Teams thing not liking the //. If so, hopefully Teams will add the protocol in the future. I am using Chrome Browser on Windows PC.
Thanks for your help and explanations.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I’m using the native phone client in Mac OS Mojave which is seamless across iOS and MacOS devices.

Frederik
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I used RCDefaultApps for MacOS to fix the URI/URL to start the specific app that I need. (in this case x-lite client).

It’s a very helpful tool to fix all kinds of default opening behaviour on Mac.

Bridget_Griggs
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Screenshot_43

I found this information on the Airtable website and I just wanted to know is this available only on the mobile app or can this also be accessed via the web app. This would make the difference in truly making Airtable into a CRM for my company. If this can be done on the web app, could you please help me figure out how I need to format my records? Please advise and thank you!

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Bridget_Griggs! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: The icons for quick calling/texting are only available in the mobile app. In the browser and desktop versions, only the phone number is shown.

Bridget_Griggs
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you Justin! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Do you know if there are currently any ways to make the phone number clickable inside of Airtable or do we just need to copy and paste the phone number into our calling system? Thank you in advance!