Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Phone Number Format "CLICK TO CALL" option on Web App

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

It would be nice if Airtable added a “click to call” formatting for phone numbers. That way if you use Skype/Teams or another service you can simply click the phone number you want to call. The mobile app allows it, so not sure why we can’t have on web app.

29 Comments
Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I believe the tel protocol works in an Airtable URL field. But, the ability of a computer to actually dial from a tel-based URL is independent, of course, of the use of this protocol in web pages (such as Airtable).

I’m not a VoIP expert at all, but I think if the browser has a pathway to an installed SIP phone such as that provided in Apple’s continuity features, Airtable tel protocol links should work.

The reason is simple - the mobile app is running in the context of a device that is a phone, whereas, the same cannot be assumed for laptops and desktops. As such, your browser is not able to interpret such abilities and provide that feature.

RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Thanks for explanation Bill. How did you get the Tel Protocol to link on your example?

I have tried using the following formula to convert telephone format to “tel:+##########” however it is still not clickable.

CONCATENATE(“tel:+”,SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE({Mobile Phone},"(",""),")",""),"-","")," “,”"))

Did you have to set the field to URL and manually enter the number? If so, that would be to much work for how many numbers we have.

Thanks again.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Yes - that’s exactly how I did it. I’m not sure if you can use a formula field to mimic this behavior, but I suppose you could use the API to populate clickable tel fields.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Even though this won’t help your situation, I’m throwing this out there in case anyone else wants to extract the digits from a phone field. Thankfully the VALUE function will do the job very simply, no nesting of SUBSTITUTE functions needed:

"tel:+" & VALUE(Phone)

11%20PM

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

This is far simpler and works, except for the small issue that it’s not clickable. Any ideas how a formula can update a URL field?

Not much anyone can do with this -

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

That’s why I said above that this won’t solve @RnJ’s problem. It’s just a simpler way to pull the numbers out, nothing more.

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

I would automate this with Zapier or Integromat, so when a new telephone number is added, the URL is generated.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Yeah, I agree, but unfortunately, this is likely the only way to get a clickable tel:// link into the table given the current design of Airtable.

But once again, this is another example showing a key missing concept that (if present) would address a huge number of problems and open a vast number of cul-de-sacs that users often hit. Since this is in the Product Suggestions category, I’ll take the liberty of going off message a bit.

Opinion from here down…

The feature that @RnJ wants is not a clickable link. Rather, what he (and thousands of others) really need is for every data type to support inline formulaic logic. (i.e., any given cell – regardless of data type – should support formulas). And such formulas should support HTTP references (i.e., the ability to request external data from other services).

Architecturally speaking, any cell value should be able to be rendered in a late-binding process that allows us to shape the data into arbitrary formats (indeed, rendered values as opposed to actual values) using formulas. Ergo, cells must support logically attached formulas that are applied to the data value which transform it into a rendered value. The original value is untouched and the rendered value is interpreted, not compiled.

It should be simple work for anyone to factor a link (for example) from existing cell data and other data in the record and/or constants.

In my view, the “formula” data type leads users down a path that results in increasingly complex arrangements, specifically convoluted data models. In fact, there is no such thing as a formula data type.

Kasra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hi, just a quick update: formulas that begin with tel:// are now clickable in the web app.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Thanks! Great improvement!