Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Self-linking tables (and lookup/rollup/count fields)

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Layne_Peterson
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Link fields in other tables show up as options for a Lookup field, but not the link fields to the self-linking table. I see a feature request for Rollups on self-linking tables (Roll Ups for Fields Linked Within The Same Table). Is there no way to use the linked field within the table for Lookup at this time?

17 Comments
nathaniel_pulsi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

i need this also- surprising that it does not

William_Nutt
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Please integrate this feature!

Daniel_Knudsen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding my +1 for this feature

Marylene_Brunel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding my +1 :slightly_smiling_face:

S_B

Iโ€™d love this to work. When Iโ€™m planning a project, I have tasks A, B and C.

• I want A to have children of B and C
  • B depends only on A
  • C depends on A and B

I want to be able to perform lookups and rollups on those records to pull the start and end dates from their parents for use in formulas after.

Programs like ProjectLibre work this way to set up task dependencies. Being able to perform this kind of reverse-lookup in Airtable would be a huge step forward.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi everyone! Lookup, rollup, and count fields now support looking up, rolling up, and counting from a linked record field that has been linked to its own table. This will make it easier to model the relationships between records that exist in the same table. Going to go ahead and set a timer for this thread to closeโ€”thank you all for your patience, and happy linking!

A couple of the posts in this topic were about a related feature requestโ€”the ability to make it so that a self-linking linked record field automatically populates in the same table. This is not yet something that Airtable supports, so I split those posts out into a separate topic: Automatic bidirectional linked records in same table.

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Wish I could give this a dozen thumbs-ups! :winking_face: