Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Set defaults on fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Mike_Ball
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Simply the ability to set a default on fields other than numeric

On a date, the obvious is Today

On a string, just set a default value

138 Comments
Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

While Date fields donโ€™t support formulas, Formula fields do support dates.

You can do what you describe here by having:

• Date = Date Field
  • ReminderDate = Formula Field with this formula:
    DATEADD( Date, 30, 'day' )
Michael_Brody
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 to allow any field to have a default value. I have a long text field that Iโ€™d like to have always start with the same basic content that can then be edited as a project evolves.

Keri_Sprinkle
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Big olโ€™ +1 from me! Especially to the single select field.

The workaround from @James_Steed and @Noel_Howell is nice, but you canโ€™t group by that formula field in the Kanban view.

Like @Dan_Weaver pointed out, it looks like weโ€™re stuck with that ugly โ€œUncategorizedโ€ stack. That could easily be resolved with a default value for single select.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could go so far as to have a โ€œfield requiredโ€ option on fields with a defined default value. If the user tries to delete the content in the field, it could revert to the default value. And add an option to disallow โ€œcreate a new option named โ€ฆโ€ so that people canโ€™t accidentally add to the single select options with a typo. In some cases I prefer to be forced to customize the field type, in other cases creating the new option as I add content is nice. Toggling that option on or off would be cool.

But now Iโ€™ve gone off the deep end. :swimming_woman: Those extra things would be nice to have, but the only thing I actually NEED is the ability to set a default value for a single select field.

James_Taylor
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Canโ€™t we use the integration with Zapier to find and update the newest record - inserting desired โ€œdefaultโ€ values into specific fields? I know it requires a paid Zapier account because it is a multi-step zap. This is what Iโ€™m trying to do now. My challenge is how to search for and select the most recent recordโ€ฆ

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

@James_Taylor
Create a view that filters to show only records with an empty single select field (ie, โ€œuncategorizedโ€ in kan ban), and have Zapier act on all new records in that view.

If Zapier does itโ€™s job, that view should stay empty.

Aurelien_Vabre
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I also support this feature especially for single select field.

USE CASE:
When I create a row in GRID VIEW I want โ€œTODOโ€ to be added to the single field automatically so that my cards appears in the โ€œTODOโ€ column in kanban view automatically.

Roland_Garton

Increment Requests for this option.

In grid view if I group by a field and then add a row in a group, the current field is set to the group-by value. Grouping by Status and entering rows in the TODO group would do what Aurelien wants.

Iโ€™d like to set default default values fields other than group-by (grid view) or lane (Kanban view). Ultimately I want a โ€œworking withโ€ option that 1) filters out all rows not linked to a given project and 2) enters the given project in the PROJECT field no matter what view Iโ€™m working with.

Paul_Berg
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 I have a list of 100 items and itโ€™s a tedious process to select each item one by one.

Roman_Scher
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Paul_Berg you can also copy and paste single select fields while in a grid view

Square_Candy

+1 - defaults on checkbox, single select, date in particular would be helpful