Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Automatic sorting in views

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Great news! We’ve just enabled this feature for everyone. Check out Mikayla’s post below for more info.

133 Comments
Aaron_Owen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I thought I’d bump this thread to see if there’s any movement on persistent / live sorting. My use case is that I have an external view of a “deliverables” table that’s embedded on a webpage that is a subset of the table which is filtered on a column called “job number” a particular client. This embedded client view has a sort applied to it based on date created, so that new items show up at the top of the table.

The problem I have is that when new deliverables are added to the table, even though the view on the non-embedded side shows me that there is a sort applied to the view, it must be re-applied manually even if the page or view has been loaded fresh. This isn’t great. If I’ve loaded the view, and there is a sorting filter present, it would stand to reason that the current view has already been sorted by this criteria when in fact, the sort must be re-applied to the view in order to affect the embedded view. I would expect that if I’ve set up an external view with a filter and sort criteria, that the external view would apply the sort on page load.

Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I have a similar situation with a list of cars in stock that are organised by make and model by default. Cars are added through a form so the actual grid view is rarely interacted with by someone with edit permissions, so I’m having to manually update the sort a few times a day. Not ideal. Hope it’s coming soon!

Franklin_Tseng
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Totally agree to autosorting. This is also very important. Should have a choice of autosorting or manual sorting.

Kelvin_Jewell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1. appreciate its on the dev road map, but can’t come quick enough for me! Even if “live-sorting” is some way off, a button to “re-apply sorts in all views” would be an interim solution rather than having to open each view individually to re-apply the sort.

Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Bump

With the advent of Grouped Records, you could sort of have live sorting now. If you’d consider putting it in at the ‘Grid’ view level that would be awesome.

Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Or simply when refreshing / opening the view. Live sorting is not really what I’m after.

FWIW, I don’t think I would appreciate my records flying all over the place when someone else is working on the same table. :slightly_smiling_face:

Kim_Prisk
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Ok a compromise, if only one user, then sort as the view is opened. Then on
the the other hand if someone has a sort attached to a view why not? It is
sorted anyway, and the auto sort just adds a few more records at the top.
Why would one night to see those?

Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

I’m with @Matt_Sayward on the original post. Forget fancy live sorting for now. :winking_face:

Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Just found this: Persistent sorting of a view

That’s good enough for me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sam_Gates
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Sort and filter should both be toggle-able options. Sometimes I want the records to auto-sort and sometimes I don’t want the records to auto-filter.

Would be a great feature, looking forward to seeing it.

Not a big fan of the groups feature, though I might be missing it’s usefulness.