Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

'View Specific' Linked Record Popup Boxes

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Casey_Kleiman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

When clicking on a linked record only one view (the first record in that table’s view list) is available for any linked record of all views in that table.

Id like to request that the popups be specific to the view they are linked to.

WHOS WITH ME?!?!? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Comments
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Records aren’t linked to views. They’re only linked to other records. Even if you have the “Limit record selection to a view” setting chosen for the link field, it still doesn’t link to that view. The specified view is only used to narrow down the list of records that are available for linking.

Casey_Kleiman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yet the pop up field order and field visibility formatting will take on that of the first view in the view list. In some way it is pulling the formatting from the first view and following that formatting. Why not have the linked record take on the formatting for the view it is in, or the view in which the records are filtered to rather than only the first view? I’m sure there’s something I’m not understanding, but I’d love to understand.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Correct. That’s the default operation: to use the layout of the first view of a given table when showing linked record details. That’s not because of any special connection between the records and that first view (more on this below). It’s just a choice made by the developers because (guessing) it’s probably the easiest to implement.

Records aren’t tied to specific views. View filters only control record visibility. They don’t create a relationship or connection between the record and the view. Even if they did, that still wouldn’t make the problem any easier to solve because more than one view could show the same record. If View A and View B both have filter settings that make Record 1 visible, which view’s layout should take precedence when displaying that record’s link elsewhere?

Does that make things more clear?

Gabriela_Letici
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would also like to specify which fields are shown in the linked record expansion based on the view that’s linked to it.

The ideal would be something like:

• When the record is not limited to a view, the fields that appear on expanded record are the ones from the first view
  • When record is limited to a view, the fields that appear on expanded record are the ones of this specific view

For me this would be helpful because i want to link my main table (lets say table A) in 2 different tables (B and C). For each one, i would like that specific fields were shown.