Formatting options for Long Text

Seriously, how can this be so difficult to implement? At the moment we’re having to link out to Google Docs just so we can do very basic formatting like bullet points. It makes our whole system flaky and hard to contain/manage.

Can you at least give an indication if you’re considering this? Surely 81 comments deserve a response of some form…

3 Likes

+1 on this feature request. We are generating a variety of static reports out of Airtable and basic formatting support in text fields would really improve their readability.

1 Like

Any sort of basic rich text or markdown would be great

1 Like

We definitely need the ability to apply some basic formatting - bold, italic, lists.

0 Likes

it would be great if we could use typical HTML/CSS terms for formatting so we could use them in formulas as well. I.e., <b>Text</b> for bold, <i>Text</i> for italics, <ul><li></li></ul> for un-ordered lists (and ordered lists too), etc.

0 Likes

@Katherine_Duh

Use Case 1: I am building a recipe database and the Instructions field makes individual steps difficult to read as all text blends together. This is where lists would come in handy (right now I have to fake it)

Use Case 2: anyone who uses formulas to calculate overdue deadlines might want to make text bold and red to make its stand out. not everyone likes using emojis.

Use Case 3: financial databases might want negative numbers to appear red.

1 Like

We need this. Could be very useful.

0 Likes

I’d like to use Airtable to organize our UX writing guidelines. I’d love to use basic formatting like link text, bold, italics, underline, bulleted lists, and numbered lists in Do and Don’t fields to demonstrate best practices vs. incorrect usage.

1 Like

Beggars belief that this isn’t considered important enough to have made any progress on in two and a half years. There are many more things I’d be using Airtable for with this feature, and no updates at all on if it’s even being considered by the team.

0 Likes

Adding my voice to the chorus here. There’s only so much “long text” you can add without formatting to make it more readable.

0 Likes

+1 Currently using Blocks to produce investment reports and without formatting the long text boxes become very hard to read and use. We are using lots of symbols to try and mix things up – * : etc but not a very good workaround.

1 Like

Another user that would really appreciate formatting capabilities in Airtable here.
Use-case: I have a table with a lot of information, and I’d like to make the actionable items bold so that they stand out amongst the other cells’ text. Markdown, or an equivalent, would be hugely helpful.

0 Likes

Add my name to the list of people who would REALLY want to have a rich text editor.

My preference? The WordPress approach of being able to switch between “visual” and “text” views.

0 Likes

Many databases I used in the past had word processors integrated so that you could format templates and map data from the fields in a record and send to print or email. This was very beneficial for communication in business. Is there any way to create templates and documents? Does AirTable have anything on the near horizon to address creating documents, email outputs, and other types of reports.

0 Likes

Hello. I also expect long-text format updates!

Markdown and rich content are different things, it is better to think separately.

If you are optimizing for Markdown, I would like an experience like Chrome extension StackEdit.

The following is the mock I made. The input field of Airtable is not textarea, so this Chrome extension does not work.

5 Likes

Hi I just started using Airtable yesterday for our business operating in IT services. We use github primairly for project management and all our issues on there are written using Markdown. If you use Zapier to create airtable records when an issue on Github is created you can copy over the issue description to a airtable long field. Only now we have all headings and styling missing from the original issue.

It would be great for our use case to be able to use markdown within a long text field. This will help adoption within my organisation.

0 Likes

It would be awesome for us using airtable for the purpose of documenting minutes and logs of our daily activities at startups. Airtable could have much wider capabilities if we could use markdown functionalities, even it wouldn’t be a long text field but new markdown field or anything.

0 Likes

new airtable user here, experimenting w/ moving whole team to pro but I was kind of shocked to see there was no rich text editor…

would love to use markdown since that’s kind of the defacto standard. I imagine a lot of users would appreciate a gui driven rich text editor (if that compiled to markdown that would be ideal for compatibility) just my 2¢

0 Likes

and the kicker to all of this is that they already have the code in place for parsing and displaying markdown in the base description modal. :triumph:

0 Likes

The lack of rich text formatting in long text severely limits the usefulness of Airtable. If I want to brainstorm or create notes, I have to use a separate application or program because any “long text” quickly becomes unreadable without formatting.

Please prioritize this very common and highly requested feature.

3 Likes