Link to other base

I was extremely excited to find Airtable recently, as I could immediately see how this would help me solve tons of issues I have in my company that we could never properly address with any other tool. But I was soon shocked to find that something as essential as linking bases was not possible. Through browsing discussions like this one, I realized this is a 4+ year limitation that is highly requested but nonetheless seems to be going nowhere. Instead of continuing investing my time on Airtable, I am now searching for a competitive product that might have been able to address this requirement in the past 4+ years.

8 Likes

Any update on this @Airtable @Airtable_Admin? It’s definitely a much needed feature that we need. Is there any basic way to just source data from one base to another?

7 Likes

Airtable you guys are a joke, how many forums I’ve read now and literally haven’t seen one reply from airtable staff. You guys grow too a big size and than just start ignoring your users? Lousy.

5 Likes

@Airtable_Admin - any progress on this? This would be CRUCIAL for us as we have different business units operating globally that intersect in a few areas and to be able to link bases would be incredible.

Where do you all stand on this - it was on the product roadmap it sounds like a few years ago - any news?

7 Likes

I suppose this must be a really difficult change to make to the Airtable platform, because it’s a total showstopper that linking across bases isn’t possible. Airtable has enormous potential. Gaps like this (and lack of webhooks) prevent it from taking over the world.

7 Likes

Ha pasado bastante tiempo, cuándo se va a implementar, es una función que muchos la solicitan y bastante útil, su implementación les traería aún más usuarios.

I 1+ this too. Grouping views into folders would also help. I am currently running about 30 views to work around linking bases. Also a view filter based on current user would make a huge difference in sharability and should be easier to implement. I currently have 5 views running for each of my sales reps to see only their data and if I had a view based on the user logged in, I would only need 1 view. I have the same going on for my support team. A view for each member.

5 Likes

Why hasn’t this happened yet? It’s 2020…

13 Likes

One more vote for this. Not having this feature seems like a massive challenge in using airtable efficiently.

6 Likes

Agreed! I was so excited to build out our workflows on Airtable (and pay for a premium subscription) but now will have to pause until this functionality is added.

2 Likes

Good news this morning on this front, at least in terms of permissions! From Airtable’s email newsletter today:

Beta: new editing permissions options

With your permission, we’d like to introduce a new beta for Pro and Enterprise users. This new beta will give you more options for limiting which collaborators can edit the values in a specific field and limiting which collaborators can add or remove records from a table . Interested? Sign up using this form!

I’ve signed up but obviously haven’t heard back yet. Really hoping that these permissions will expand to not just editing but also viewing, so that we can set per-user (likely per user role) permissions for access tables, columns, and views within a base.

7 Likes

Checking in on this thread again. Do users have workarounds for linking multiple bases in the interim? I’ve gotten feedback that Zapier is insecure from a security standpoint, and curious what other options exist for business users without getting engineers (which defeats the purpose of airtable being “simple” to use)

3 Likes

Any clarity yet on base integration/ linking?
We also considered Zapier, but if it’s insecure, that’s not ideal.

1 Like

Link to another base is only a (not very simple) way to deal with granular users’ permissions.

• We, as a team, use Airtable for many different reasons as we all have different roles in our organisation.
  • We all have different inputs.
  • We all must access and be able to share some datapoints to other team members.

Yet, some critical data must not be shared with everyone in the organisation neither with external users we’d love to invite to the base.

Airtable will truly be amazing when:

1. We can decide which particular table can be edited by selected team members.
  2. This feature would also be available with selected views.
  3. This would be true for Editing permissions but viewing permissions as well.

Am I the only one feeling the same here?

Thanks in advance @Airtable_Admin! :wink:

4 Likes

Completely agree. Viewing permissions will be a game changer. It feels so close with the addition of the editing permissions, yet so far!

2 Likes

I’m having difficulty understand what’s going on with Airtable and in particular popular requests such as linked bases, permissions, copying bases etc. Users have provided use cases, there’s a bunch of “+1” comments, but the Airtable position seems to be “nah, we need more info”. I am now of the opinion that Airtable doesn’t use Airtable to manage Airtable. How could they?

If Airtable (the company) did use Airtable in any meaningful way then all of the company innards are exposed to anyone with access, no? Or am I missing something here? I toyed with the idea of building a national database on a particular species of flower, but this permissions issue would render the database as mush if I unleashed thousands of rabid gardeners at it just because I’m limited to an “all or nothing” schema.

Airtable has amazing potential beyond being a CRM.

1 Like

To clarify the misunderstandings in this thread. Permissions are really important.

There is another good reason for linking bases though. And that is “Apps” with having the ability to link bases you can build different apps for the same company (or cross company projects).

I think the main problem is Airtable pricing. You really should review your pricing strategy.

1 Like

Completely agree! In fact I think that the topic of linking between bases mainly started because of the lack of permissions within a base. Anyway, if we’d have permissions per table, per view, and per user it would solve a lot basic use cases.

But somehow when I think about this, with these features we could kind of put everything in one base, and depending on what permissions we have we would see a total different base than another user with other permissions…So it would end up like having different bases that are able to share data.

Alternatively when you want to give permission to edit values to someone with a limited view of certain fields, there is “Airportal” which is now named “Stacker” the Idea is great but they are developing a totally different user interface and you need to do a bunch of setting that you’ve already done in Airtable. You loose the grid view and some things like the field descriptions can’t be showed in their UI to give you a few example, so not worth for my use cases. I would have loved to see their features as a plug-in seamlessly integrated within Airtable directly, and if you want to activate this plugin you pay extra for it.

Also you can try ”Intergromat” to replicate changes happening in one bases into another base. I gave it a try that worked but haven’t been through a real application afterwards. So I’m not sure how it is really. The problem with these 3rd parties solution is that it is another thing to set and maintain. Each time you want to add a field in Airtable or else, you might have to also do the changes in these other softwares…

2 Likes

Adding to the noise here, as if there’s any point at this stage. First of all, Airtable is a great tool and it would be perfect for running my entire business (and probably my life) from if the ability to link between bases existed without cumbersome workarounds.

It’s very unlikely I’ll purchase a subscription, not because this feature doesn’t exist, but because you haven’t even so much as replied to this request in years. Pretty poor communication, especially as many on this thread are paying customers.

5 Likes