Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Column Grouping

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaron
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello Community,

I’ve had a bit of an idea.

At our company, we have tables that can have up to 30-40 columns in them, especially on the “summary” or “master” tables, where data is assembled from other tables. This can get very confusing.

What If we could group similar columns together in a similar way we group rows? Color-coded, collapsible, and individually shareable. It could be quite powerful.

Thoughts?

50 Comments
Jason_Gillman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I like this idea as well, especially given that you can’t reference fields in joined tables without first making a lookup column in the current table first.

I’m in a similar situation with the electronic [aviation] logbook I’ve built for myself where it’s gotten quite wide, and I’d like to be able to hide the cruft in a single go.

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Have you considered making yourself different views just showing subsets of the data columns?

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

That’s what I do based on the purpose on the View (or fields I need).

Jason_Gillman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

But if there’s a need for multiple views with the same fields (such as different filter or group criteria) it’s back to the tediousness of individually hiding multiple fields.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

If you’re making multiple views in which the same combinations of fields are hidden or you’re using the same groupings, I highly recommend making use of the copy view configuration feature to speed things up!

view-config.gif

Aaron
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I get that, but I need all of my data in one spot.

I’m sure other people could suggest other uses.

Aaron

Andrei_Latyshau
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would like to also vote for this feature. Having table with 50 columns. When editing a particular record (expand record), I’d like to see fields grouped. Otherwise it is an explosion of fields very inconvenient to maintain.

I do have separate views that act like groupings, but then I have to find the same records in all these separate views if I want to edit fields of particular groups: pretty complicated. I want to see all fields of a particular record on the same page grouped using tabs or kind of.

Andrei_Latyshau
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

You could ask one of your data analysts to run a query finding all users who have at least one table with more than 20 columns. I am sure that all these customers would be happy to have column groupings. This would measure the value of this feature.

Huw_Thomas
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be very helpful!

Akbar_Azizul_Ha
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

i have around 55 column and 915 rows and i wish you really consider this idea :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: