Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

COUNTIF AND COUNTIFS Formulas

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Adalberto_Santo
5 - Automation Enthusiast

It would be great if the COUNTIF and the COUNTIFS formulas were implemented in Airtable. I use them in most of my excel spreadsheets, and it is a little frustrating not being able to use it here. Are there any plans to add more formulas?

50 Comments
Tim_Wilson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Iโ€™m also a frequent user of countif functions in spreadsheets. This feature in AirTable would be a big help to me.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Thank you for the feedback! Weโ€™re definitely planning on adding more formulasโ€”the set of formulas that we have right now certainly isnโ€™t set in stone.

As for COUNTIF, how would you plan on using it within Airtable? Formulas within Airtable work on a field-by-field basis, not a cell-by-cell basis, so naturally any formula implemented within Airtable will have slightly different considerations than implementing a formula in Excel. Why would you need a COUNTIF formula specifically, as opposed to using a view with a set of filters and seeing the number of records within that view?

Adalberto_Santo

Thanks for your reply Katherine, the particular Base Iโ€™m trying to reproduce from excel in Airtable is for a sheep management operation. I have the main table on which many of my reports i can reproduce with filtered views. One particular field from every record i have not been able to reproduce in airtable and that is the Birth Type. I want airtable to calculate automatically the number of sheep born from the same mother on the same date to determine if it is a single, twin or triplet. In excel i use countifs formula so it counts if it is the same mother and it was born on the same date and it just gives me a 1 a 2 or a 3. I have tried using various tables without any luck on reproducing my result from this excel formula. =IF(COUNTIFS(Mother,Mother,DOB,DOB)=3,โ€œTripletโ€,IF(COUNTIFS(Mother,Mother,DOB,DOB)=2,โ€œTwinโ€,IF(COUNTIFS(Mother,Mother,DOB,DOB)=1,โ€œSingleโ€,"")))
Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Tim_Wilson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hereโ€™s a summary of the first situation I encountered where a OOUNTIF function would have been helpful. Iโ€™m certainly open to a suggestion about an alternative approach.

I was building a base for tracking job applicants and had a bunch of fields where I was storing scores for individual responses to a set of interview questions. Each interview response is scored as a 0, ? or +. Iโ€™d like to have another field where I can generate a total โ€œ+โ€ count for all the questions for a particular candidate. Iโ€™d like to be able to sort and filter based on that total โ€œscore.โ€

Does that make sense?

Bryan_Culbertso
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I too would use COUNTIFs

Vittorio_Pennaz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey, that would be a great feature indeed for reporting purposes. I am using AirTable to catalogue presentations at our events and, specifically, I am currently going through an approval for publishing of their videos. So I would use COUNTIF to have a quick view of how many got approved already, how many are pre-approved, how many pending, how many declined, etc. A workaround would be of course using the filter and see the number of records, but I would have to do so for each value, whereas it would be nice being able to make a โ€œdashboardโ€ with the number of each of those. Likewise for other fields with pre-set values, it would be good to make other reporting sums (e.g. how many presentations we have within a certain theme - being themes pre-set variables)
Cheers,
Vittorio

Emmanuel_Watrin

+1 !!!
Iโ€™m also a frequent user of countif functions in spreadsheets. Please add itโ€ฆ

Klaus_Becker
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

not optimal, but an IF formula field that copies the desired โ€œCOUNTIFโ€ field values combined with a rollup should do the trick, no?

Adalberto_Santo

Any news on implementing COUNTIF formula??

Ken_A

Hi,

My application for COUNTIF is to count the number of classes (linked date records) attended within the last week. Any ideas for a workaround? I need to COUNT date records that are less than 7 seven days old.

I hope to see this formula function added to Airtable.

Thanks,
Ken