Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Hide field names in Gallery View

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heidi_Anderson
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Displaying the field name is useless for so many Gallery views created (and some Kanban views). For example, I don’t need to know that xyz@abc is their “email” or 123.456.7890 is there “phone”. The field names take up far too much space when viewing.

12 Comments
Donald_Newlands
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

+10
The most frustrating thing about Airtable is the amount of space wasted in most of the views. We can’t use the Kanban and Gallery views because adding just a few fields to a card makes the cards too long to fit on the screen. Field names are a total waste of space there! Also in the record views, there is a huge amount of white space between fields that makes those views impractical as forms.

I would so love to see more layout options in all the views, especially “show field names y/n?”, “line spacing: wide/normal/compact” and “choose title field” (so we don’t have to see our ugly key/id fields as “titles”).

These are old requests that affect the basic usability of the program. Please Airtable, before you add any more blocks, take care of more of the requested core features that users have been requesting for a long time!

-Donald

Benjamin_Tincq
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, I completely second this. I’m using Kanban views a lot, and there is so much space waste by the inability to remove field names. If I have cards corresponding to companies, I don’t need “Logo” appearing above the logo, nor “Contact Name” above the contact names.

Not sure how to mention the Airtable team here, but please fix this :slightly_smiling_face:

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yep, all of the issues in this thread are truly annoying to me, too.

In my personal opinion, it seems like Airtable spends all of their time introducing fancy NEW features which are fantastic, but rarely (if ever!!) spends time going back and fixing all the broken or unusable features that already exist in Airtable.

From my personal point of view, it is maddening & frustrating to me to see a product that has so much potential that only focuses on big ticket marketing media hype to raise additional VC funding (yes, this is important, too!), but then ignores all the little details of the actual daily usability of the product for people who are actually trying to use the product on a daily basis.

In my opinion, it’s almost like there’s nobody focused on the actual product itself at Airtable. (Adjustable grid column heights, anybody?) I’ve never experienced anything like this in 30+ years of working in database development & database consulting. They actively ignore the existing product’s flaws while simultaneously adding new features on top of the existing product. @Taylor_Savage @Adam_Minich

I suppose you could argue that with 80-pound gorilla competitors like Google and Microsoft coming out with their own Airtable copycat copyright-infringement clones of Airtable, that Airtable doesn’t have time to focus on the little details. That they can only spend their time focusing on big new features. Who knows. :man_shrugging:t2:

Kanban views and gallery views and calendar views are essentially useless — they offer no interface flexibility such as hiding field headers or hiding the primary field or even giving variable record box sizes, and they cut off long text everywhere (including “long text” fields themselves!), unless you expand the record. Makes it very unusable.

In fact, the only truly usable gallery view is this tool (link below) which was built by miniextensions.com, which is about a zillion times better than Airtable’s gallery view. It lets you hide field titles, it lets you choose custom field titles, it lets you hide the primary field, it displays the full contents of fields (including long text fields), it features variable height record boxes, it allows you to set viewing/editing permissions on a field-by-field basis, and so much more. @Moe

This is the gallery view that the Airtable team SHOULD HAVE built into the product but never did:

itoldusoandso
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

This is kind of related to this post about Kanban view. Lots of folks here asking for customization ability of the view … from hiding field names, to showing compact view, changing font size, allow showing multiline fields for non-multiline-text fields etc…

https://community.airtable.com/t/kanban-cards-need-to-be-more-compact/7298/54

Agree with the field names - should be able to hide them.

Brienne_O_Tarth

@ScottWorld, thanks for sharing this. If only we could use the embed extension code on Airtable, as most of us don’t have a website to embed the gallery to.

Also, I didn’t see any mention of being able to hide Field Labels with this extension?

Stefan_Etschber
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Did something happen on this front since the original post? It’s more than 2 years.

This would be one of the most important UI-improvement steps for airtable. A customizable card view providing multiline input with markup tags where I can mix field content and field names (or omit them).

Cards in gallery view view are not usable as an overview with all the wasted space.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

MiniExtensions lets you use their own website — no need for embedding in your own website.

Yes, the ability to hide field labels is one of the features of this extension.

Chang_Liu
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Seriously even just a simple Hide Label option would make the Gallery much more easy to use

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Be sure to email support@airtable.com with your requests for this feature. It’s just us Airtable users in these forums… the Airtable people rarely read our posts here.

dh_12323423
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

2023 and we still can't Hide Labels 😩

Please Airtable, let us customize views more!