Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Set defaults on fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Mike_Ball
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Simply the ability to set a default on fields other than numeric

On a date, the obvious is Today

On a string, just set a default value

138 Comments
Heracles
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 for defaults in single selects, and dare I say a combination of single select and formulas would rock.
The lack of it is not game-breaking, but would certainly cut off lots of otherwise manual work.

Jon_Thomas1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

+1 - Defaults on Single Select & Text Fields

Matthew_Billio1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Being able to set default values via formulas on single select fields, date fields, text, etc. would be a game changer.

• Without the above feature KABANs and Grouped records that are driven by formula calculated fields cannot be moved into another grouping.

• Adding the ability to set a default value via formula on single selects, etc would allow users to have the best of both worlds.

See other places where this feature is either requested, or would have been requested if the user had thought about asking for it:

In addition to being able to set a default value via formula, I would like to be able to UDPATE the value of a field (be it single select, text, date, or a multi select field) when the value of field that is in the formula is changed. For example, if I have a formula to calculate whether an item is DUE, OVERDUE, or NEARING DUE, or in GOOD STANDINGโ€ฆ sometimes I need to quickly update the field to GOOD STANDING (despite such status being in conflict with dates). However, if a date changes after said manual override is made, I would like the DEFAULT value to be reapplied from the new calculation.

Raphi_Levine
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I totally agree with these suggestions. Having a default is a necessity. It would be really nice to have a required field as well as ability to specify whether new values should be added in single select or multi select fields
I SECOND THAT MOTION!!

Daniel_Tutida
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey guys, I have found a way around for the default TODAY field using ZAPIER

TRIGGER - WHEN A NEW RECORD IS FOUND
then
FIND NEW RECORD BY UNIQUE ID
then
DELAY for 1 minute (Otherwise the task will be haulted)
then
UPDATE RECORD with CREATED TIME

This is possible because Zapier is registering the creation time of the ZAP.

Tadรก!

Hope this helps

Chad_Taylor
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1, yeah, I would really like this feature for at least my โ€œSingle Selectโ€. When a new record is created, its status could be set by default to something. That would be helpful.

Caleb_Figgers
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Still need this, especially for Single Select fields!

ambigram0
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Weโ€™d love more defaults too, specifically being able to select a default time for date + time fields. Right now it defaults to midnight which sometimes causes confusion across time zones - e.g. for some people itโ€™s today, for others itโ€™s tomorrow.

Leah_Riffell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Heavy +1 on default values, especially current date and checkbox

Sam_Wood

Iโ€™m working on a solution using AirTable API, letting you create forms with default values, validation logic, custom logic on submit and more.

Anyone wants to give it a try & give me feedback? Letโ€™s get in contact https://airtable.com/shrvNWXRawvupNPCf