Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Show only matching records when searching (filter instead of highlighting)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy_Lin1
9 - Sun
9 - Sun
What is the proposed idea/solution?

When searching within a view, add a toggle to display only matching records / hide non-matching records

How does it solve user problems?

Quickly surface matching records within a view to see results "at a glance" instead of jumping to each match. Prevents having to click "next" button repeatedly if there are multiple search term matches within a single record.

It's different from setting a filter within a view, because each filter rule only applies to a single field.

Who is the target audience?

Any user.

Interestingly, the mechanism already exists in Airtable, but only in the Calendar and Timeline views. Click the "See records" button, and type in a search term in the sidebar that appears. You will see a filtered list of records, and it searches all fields. It's a feature I use everyday, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere.

3 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This functionality also exists in the Search extension.

Andy_Lin1
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

That's true! I'd forgotten about it, thanks for reminding me!

I don't think to use the Search extension because it doesn't allow me to sort the results, so I see a list of records that appear – to me at least – in random order, when I'd prefer something chronological or based on priority. Because the extension lives in a sidebar and isn't attached to a view, the results also cannot be interacted with in a similar way (in a calendar view, I can drag and drop a record to change a date; in a grid view, I can edit a record without expanding it; etc.).

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yeah, it’s pretty unusable, but I thought I would just mention it.